The PS3 "super patch"

BBIAJ

Jul 31, 2012
Thanks for clearing that up for me Tann!

Well, I'm going to start by deleting everything TPA related on my Vita, see if I can fix table pack 1 that way, as it should be a bit quicker due to everything being slightly smaller, then if I can be bothered later, I'll do the same on the PS3 and report back if anything gets fixed.

EDIT: Okay then, so deleting everything on the Vita to do with TPA, and then re downloading it all, changed only one thing, and even then, only briefly.

When I had the Basic version of Table Pack 1 - MM/BoP - MM at least was playable fine, but as soon as I upgraded to the Pro version, I was stuck in the "There is a new version to download, please upgrade" loop.

With this being the case, I am going to assume for now that if I attempted the same thing on the PS3, that nothing would change, so I shall just wait and hope that SCEE sort out the Pro files for the tables I mentioned earlier sooner rather than later.

Fat chance of that I know, but at least I can play all but two tables on Vita, and a fair few on PS3, in 3D.

I have to turn the HUD off in-game though as the 3D is so broken, and for the DMD tables, that's a crying shame.

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Here's some comparison screenshots between ToTAN pre-patch and post-patch:

totan_prepatch.jpg

totan_postpatch.jpg

EDIT: PS4 screenshot. Remove the "zonal" lighting effect and some reflection FXs, and you have the new look of the PS3 table.

Visuals:

Like I said, the table have now a reddish hue (weird at first when you're get used to the blueish one). All the fancy (but not realistic) glowing light FX on the ramp, the lamp and on the Genie are gone.

The lighting and the color contrast on the playfield is much better. The light inserts shine a little less (as the playfield is brighter), but it's OK.

Physics:

The lag is gone!! No more these awkward horizontal shots when you aim for the orbit (left or right). During multiball, everything is much smoother, you don't have anymore the feeling that you play with heavy balls like hell.

Bugs:

When you want to start the Genie Multiball, it happens more often that the ball doesn't stay on the magnet (and doesn't sink into the hole). It happened to me 7 times in a row, and the 8 time, the multiball has started without the ball in the hole...

ToTAN Enhancement Verdict: 8/10

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Tann, thank you for the screen shot. Glad to finally see a comparison up on here!

To my eye, that 'red' look you see is the warm glow of incandescent lighting. The previous version was overly shiny on the plastics, and the lighting reminded me of what it looks like when people install LED on these older tables.

I'm crossing my fingers that you have screen shot comparisons of all the tables, as it will really help in identifying what got changed.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Tann, thank you for the screen shot. Glad to finally see a comparison up on here!

I'm crossing my fingers that you have screen shot comparisons of all the tables, as it will really help in identifying what got changed.

You're welcome.

Actually, the first screenshot is directly captured from a youtube video (there's plenty of good quality video of the pre-patch PS3 version).

The second screenshot comes from the PS4 version, but now, the PS3 is close to that -more yellowish, though- (except the overal lighting on the playfield, less marked, and the reflection effects, which are missing on PS3, obviously. For example, no reflection on the launch ramp saber on PS3).

I have to take screenshots with a good camera device of the "megapatched" PS3 version, tomorrow. And I'll update the second screenshot.

To my eye, that 'red' look you see is the warm glow of incandescent lighting. The previous version was overly shiny on the plastics, and the lighting reminded me of what it looks like when people install LED on these older tables.

Yeah, on 13 tables of the 14 I own (core game + season 1), that reddish hue works globally well, as it brings a more realistic feeling (tables parts in plastic/plexiglas) to the eye (I don't know how to say it in english ^^), except on MM (on which the glowing reminds me Genie pre-patch -_-).

Last edited:

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
Bugs:

When you want to start the Genie Multiball, it happens more often that the ball doesn't stay on the magnet (and doesn't sink into the hole). It happened to me 7 times in a row, and the 8 time, the multiball has started without the ball in the hole...

Really ? I had the impression it was the other way around. I would always get that the ball doesn't go into the hole, but I played a long game and it didn't happen once.

PS: I'm breaking all of my records now since the patch. I went from 90.000.000.000 to 150.000.000.000 on AFM, 140.000.000 to 292.000.000 on RBION, 121.000.000 to 148.000.000 on TotAN.
I really like the new look of the TotAN table.

Edit: ofcourse ... I typed that, played TotAN and sure enough twice it dropped out of the multiball hole LOL

Last edited:

schiapcom69

May 1, 2013
i try to dowload mars attack and mmadness but dont start,when i try to start ; please download a new version °_°
i try 3 times but nothing happen . . .

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014

They did the same with "TOM". I actually preferred how "TOM" and "TOTAN" looked before... they had a "Dark room" kinda feel to em, which made the gameplay more fun to me. I really hate what they did to "TOM". It looked like you were actually playing in a dark theater before the patch.

BBIAJ

Jul 31, 2012
i try to dowload mars attack and mmadness but dont start,when i try to start ; please download a new version °_°
i try 3 times but nothing happen . . .

I'm assuming that this is the same problem many are having, myself included, especially when it comes to updating the Pro packs.

I think it is a case of the updated files for some packs not being up on the PSN yet, we will just have to wait until the correct ones are uploaded.

I hope that helps.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
They did the same with "TOM". I actually preferred how "TOM" and "TOTAN" looked before... they had a "Dark room" kinda feel to em, which made the gameplay more fun to me. I really hate what they did to "TOM". It looked like you were actually playing in a dark theater before the patch.

Hmm. I couldn't be happier! I absolutely hated the dark, un-readable playfield and felt like I was locked in a creepy dark basement playing the game. Now, it's actually color-balanced and contrast corrected to look like the actual artwork! There are blues and yellows and all sorts of colors that were just a horrid purpley/black on the old version. One of my favorite tables, and one of the worst offenders pre-patch. Both physics/lag and artwork were horrific for a "Core Four" title, IMO.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I'm assuming that this is the same problem many are having, myself included, especially when it comes to updating the Pro packs.

I think it is a case of the updated files for some packs not being up on the PSN yet, we will just have to wait until the correct ones are uploaded.

I hope that helps.

Good point, I wondered why some people had the problem and some didn't, but whether it's the pro packs or not might be the issue. All my packs are Pro where appropriate, and I mentioned all the packs I am having issues with in a previous post (pretty much the most out of us all).

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Hmm. I couldn't be happier! I absolutely hated the dark, un-readable playfield and felt like I was locked in a creepy dark basement playing the game. Now, it's actually color-balanced and contrast corrected to look like the actual artwork! There are blues and yellows and all sorts of colors that were just a horrid purpley/black on the old version. One of my favorite tables, and one of the worst offenders pre-patch. Both physics/lag and artwork were horrific for a "Core Four" title, IMO.
Same here! I prefer the tables to be bright than dark. If the table is going to be dark, then they better have proper GI Lighting on the table. Unfortunately, it's something the PS3 version lacks.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I enjoy the look of a dark table. I do not enjoy the look of a dark table with improper colors and horrible lighting. Since it is obvious that some in the art department have no clue how actual source lighting works, I'd much rather have a brighter properly colored table.

The thing that bothers me with the lighting, and it is on full display with the PC, not so much on the PS3, is that it looks like instead of true lighting logic being applied, a simple filter is running in the program and making certain color values 'shine'. Sorry, but there are no lights on the front of a pin cabinet, yet there are a couple of tables that positively glow there. Other tables have areas that though no light source is hitting the top of a particular object, it glows like there is a lamp right above it.

So what the super patch did for me was make all the tables have a consistent look across the board. The washed out tables now had color, the dark blotchy tables now had detail, and everything looks like it is in the same room in terms of overall lighting.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Sorry guys, I tried to take screenshots directly on my TV of the updated tables, but the result is very bad... :(

So, here remains all S1 pre-patch tables screenshots (from youtube PS3 videos - I tried to find the best quality). As I used some of his stuff, thanks to Croooow111.

If someone can try to take screenshots of the updated tables with a better camera than mine... or better, if someone has a capture device, it would be greatly appreciated, in order to make a side-by-side comparison (although the differences are pretty obvious on all the tables).

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Here's some comparison screenshots between EATPM pre-patch and post-patch:

eatpm_prepatch.jpg

eatpm_postpatch.jpg

Visuals:

One of my favorite tables in TPA. Too bad that the screenshots don't render the excellent job done on the overall lighting. It's a simili-night mode, like if you play under a dim and warmy light... like in a basement party! :p

The colors are now softer (the red and and yellow ones aren't too flashy anymore) , the light inserts are very crispy and luminous (the skull eyes :cool: ).

In short, this new lighting aspect fits very well with the table theme.

Physics:

It was OK before the patch, but as I played a lot on this table before the patch, I can say that it runs even a little better. It seems that the ball has some "new paths/behaviors".

Bugs:

None encountered so far.

EATPM Enhancement Verdict: 10/10

Picklebeerboy

Jun 13, 2013
Finally downloaded all updated tables on vita and ps3. Had to go into my downloads via psn to get the updates on my PS3 for some tables. The 3d doesn't seem as nice as it is for Zen....but overall i am a happy pinballer

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Finally downloaded all updated tables on vita and ps3. Had to go into my downloads via psn to get the updates on my PS3 for some tables. The 3d doesn't seem as nice as it is for Zen....but overall i am a happy pinballer

If by "nice" you mean the amount of 3D effect, you can change that. Hold down triangle while adjusting with the right stick.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014

...and that's the catch. Yeah, the darkness that I liked so much is gone, but now you can actually see everything so much clearer on the table.

Just can't win. lol

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts