Thoughts on the new iOS interface?

pinbot

Aug 12, 2012
Would be better to have the exit game button and the yes/no buttons pop up in the same general spot so we don't have to tap all over the place?
Minor thing but easy to improve and done repetitively enough that it would be worth fixing.

Oh and I'm playing in portrait.

Last edited:

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
v5.10.2 has been released.

1. Sounds settings, sort settings still don't save.
2. Table goals (within each table) now have check boxes but no check marks are in place showing the completed goals although completed goals are in color while non-completed goals are black & white.
3. Ball launch button (on supported tables) is still tiny.
4. The "Download Owned" button now resides in the "Manage Tables" section.
5. Where on earth is the game's version number now? I had to go back to the App Store to find it.

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
While the check boxes on the left are all blank, the "view instructions" icons on the right are gray if you haven't earned the goal or colored if you have.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Back from a short break from TPA: wow, that new update brings back memories from the early days. Every update was an adventure back then, scores wiped out, tables (or whole app) broken, no remote backup possible because that functionality came in later seasons. We all waited on the first brave soul to weather the consequences.....My break did come at a good moment, because the last 10 updates or so, I thoughtlessly clicked on download, sometimes even without doing a remote backup in between. I guess I'll wait a bit longer this time till all the issues are stamped out. Many thanks to the people who tried it out for us stragglers, and sad to hear some have lost all their scores.

pinbot

Aug 12, 2012
[MENTION=896]Slam23[/MENTION]
Yes unfortunately it does feel like the old days that we'd thought were long gone. To top it off the new UI now looks like we've gone even further back in time to before pinball arcade for iOS ;) (menus look like an old pc game)

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Well, UI and overall presentation design has never been the really strong suit of TPA. I'm not overly fond of Zen either, but it looks more professional. I don't really care, and would rather see them put time and energy in the best table possible for each recreation. With 60+ tables, the old iOS UI could use an overhaul though, scrolling became a bit more tedious. I've updated my iPhone (on which I don't play but try to keep a backup of sorts), so I'll check it out.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Haven't played tables but I really don't like that my total HOF score and list of all table HOF scores are nowhere visible on the "front page". I have to select Xenon, move one "table" further to see the HOF leaderboard. This is a step back from the earlier UIin my opinion.

Mclong

Apr 22, 2016
New iOS update installed,

Game becomes unusable:
Just beat the Grand Champion table high score on Champion Pub and no buttons appeared on top or bottom after entering initials. The DMD is still cycling and lights on the table are flashing so the app didn't "freeze". Also it did not compare to leader board (if in fact it is supposed to similar to old UI) and I had to force the app closed. This is the almost the same issue I had with Taxi and reported it last week without the recent update.

I'm seriously getting frustrated since this didn't happen with the old UI. I believe FS will fix the issues but it seems like I am a beta-tester for something that I've purchased.

After writing the above paragraph:
I went back into app and every table is locked, I push play recent (Arabian Nights is pictured) it loads Champion Pub, I force close the app again and reopen. My purchased tables are unlocked again.

Last edited:

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
Not going update until all this is straightened out. Still using old UI and never had a problem with it. Wonder how many sales of the next table they'll lose because people don't want to update. I'll be skipping it unless things are fixed by then.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Not going update until all this is straightened out. Still using old UI and never had a problem with it. Wonder how many sales of the next table they'll lose because people don't want to update. I'll be skipping it unless things are fixed by then.
Same here. I reverted back to v5.10.0 with the old UI and the most current table (TX Sector). I refuse to update to anything higher (regardless of any new tables released) with the new UI until it's fixed. They've lost this sale until then.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
New iOS update installed,

I'm seriously getting frustrated since this didn't happen with the old UI. I believe FS will fix the issues but it seems like I am a beta-tester for something that I've purchased.

Hey, some people paid good money to be beta-testers on pc, be glad you get to do it for free he he ;)

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
I'd also like to request not having to click the Welcome screen every time I open the game. It used to be this way, until a few releases ago.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Same here. I reverted back to v5.10.0 with the old UI and the most current table (TX Sector). I refuse to update to anything higher (regardless of any new tables released) with the new UI until it's fixed. They've lost this sale until then.
That's a great idea. Thankfully my iPad is jailbroken so I can easily downgrade.

I know people have been saying "you all thought the old UI was so bad, now you complain there's a new one!" but the thing is, we thought anything could've been an improvement on the old UI. Turns out we were wrong! Not to mention the raft of bugs that were introduced with it across all platforms.

This is a real letdown, FS. Makes me sad :(

Carpy

May 7, 2012
I really hope they can get an update out this Friday to sort out a lot of these bugs.
Typically I'm on holiday from Monday for two weeks and was going to get chance to play while I had the chance but since the update I've had two high scores gone as the game has crashed after entering my intials.
Now for me this is damn important as its no fun to play if your not able to register your high scores.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I'm gonna have a problem with this Friday, on the one hand I really would love to play Indy 500, on the other hand, I'm not looking forward to a bugfest, due to the new UI. Hopefully they put out a version with Indy 500 that has also bugfixes for the new UI version.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
That's a great idea. Thankfully my iPad is jailbroken so I can easily downgrade.

Just an FYI, you don't need to be jailbroken to downgrade TPA (or any app). You do however need to download & update TPA in iTunes on the PC or Mac. When you update the app (TPA or otherwise) via iTunes, the new version is downloaded and placed into your iTunes Library while the version being replaced is moved to the trash. As long as you don't empty your trash of apps, and don't bulk empty the trash of everything, you'll always have the older versions of any apps there that you can revert to. You can copy/move them to another folder to archive them.

To revert, you delete the new version from your iTunes library and the iPad itself, then drag/copy the old version (the name will include the version number) from the trash to your iTunes Library. Then plug in your device to the syncing PC and open up iTunes, select the device and it's apps and checkmark to install TPA, then sync the device. Always make a backup of your scores remotely before doing any of this since deleting the app will delete the score as well as any installed tables (which you will also have to reinstall).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.