Thoughts on the new iOS interface?

Mclong

Apr 22, 2016
I'm gonna have a problem with this Friday, on the one hand I really would love to play Indy 500, on the other hand, I'm not looking forward to a bugfest, due to the new UI. Hopefully they put out a version with Indy 500 that has also bugfixes for the new UI version.

+1 I completely agree Slam23. Furthermore, on iPad, I am starting to prefer some of the new look and features. However, there are still bugs requiring an app restart and a couple features missing. For instance, where's the option to turn on and off the HUD?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Just wait and hear if there are any major issues. Give it a day or so. Any major issues should show up somewhere in the forum within 24 hours.

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
How do you get family mode turned off now in Elvira: Scared stiff?

Press the gear in the top right for setting, once you're at the game start screen for Scared Stiff
press Pro Mode> press operators menu, then open coin door.

You should now be seeing the "table explore" screen but with escape, -, +, Enter, and Reset buttons at the bottom

Press enter after the ROM has booted. Then "Enter" for main menu, The DMD should show B.Bookkeeping.

Press - to go to Adjustments. Then Enter to go into the Adjustments menu. You want A2. Feature Adjustments.

Once in A2, press - until you're at A2 31. This is the setting for Family Mode. Ensure it is set to "OFF".

Make any other changes you want, then press "Escape" until the you're back to seeing the ROM boot, then press the back arrow in the bottom L corner of the UI

Then start a game using the big yellow button.

Mclong

Apr 22, 2016
This is the setting for Family Mode.

Thank you so much for replying quickly! I've confirmed this works. I'm not sure why I have to actually open the coin door and make adjustments since I didn't need to before the new UI. Regardless I'm glad it works again since Elvira: SS pro was the initial reason I found TPA.

Last edited:

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
Thank you so much for the quick reply! When I have my phone handy to look at your instructions I will check this out. Not sure why I have to actually open the coin door and make adjustments now instead of just turning operator mode on with this new UI but at least the feature isn't gone.

I can't speak for iOS, but on Android when I double checked the steps and what number on the adjustment menu Family Mode was, it was already set to OFF without my making any changes.

Which means on Android all I would have to do, if I simply want to play with Family Mode OFF and no other changes, is to turn on operators mode, and then go back to the start menu and play.

I wrote detailed, step-by-step instructions on the off chance that, as has been mentioned, it is actually set to ON, and the settings do not save session to session.

Bigkeil

Sep 28, 2012
My table goals are messed up! Most tables have my bronze/silver stars for the standard/wizard goals I've completed displayed on the start up screen for each table, but Only a couple tables have stars filled in on the list after clicking on "table goals" ( I have all standard and lots of wizards complete) And some tables I've competed wizard goals on still have the old "standard" goals displayed...anyone else having goal issues?

Mclong

Apr 22, 2016
I can't speak for iOS, but on Android when I double checked the steps and what number on the adjustment menu Family Mode was, it was already set to OFF without my making any changes.

Which means on Android all I would have to do, if I simply want to play with Family Mode OFF and no other changes, is to turn on operators mode, and then go back to the start menu and play.

I wrote detailed, step-by-step instructions on the off chance that, as has been mentioned, it is actually set to ON, and the settings do not save session to session.

That's exactly how it works on iOS. I'm have no idea why it didn't operate the same that day but I just tested and it's returned to exactly how you describe by just turning operator mode ON, without opening coin door. Thanks again and I've bookmarked this page for instructions in case this happens again.

pinbot

Aug 12, 2012
Big icons appreciated. Although maybe they don't need to be this big. A size option would be nice.

Edit: and addition of 'my tables' category.

Last edited:

Lostboy

Oct 21, 2012
What happened to the table ratings? I hadn't used it yet, because it was buggy and not saving. But I was looking forward to setting it up now, and seeing if it works yet. My only complaint, is that you can only rate the tables out of 5 stars, so basically you'd only have 5 groups of tables. I would prefer to have it rated out of 100%, or better yet, just a custom order, so I can list them exactly how I want. But then they replaced it with Favorite or not under My Tables? So, now I can only sort my table in 2 groups. Not even worth doing. Boo. This sort option should pop up a new screen so we can select what we want, without being limited to 6 options taking up the screen.

I also hate the big icons (or at least make that an option too), and still wish they listed the name, date, and manufacturer in text with the icon. But I have a hard time making a complete review/bug list of the new UI, because there are still so many things wrong with it. Crashing, overlapping words, poor sorting, not saving, poor sound options, to quickly name a few problems. Looking forward to the future; somewhat patiently.

Mclong

Apr 22, 2016
Thank you so much Farsight for adding Micro-nudging using the accelerometer to the latest release for iOS!

Last edited:

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I've been having an issue running any other table from the introduction of this new UI. I can start an initial game just fine, but when I exit to the table menu screen to choose another, it just highlights the button and no pop-up appears to let me launch a table and none of the other menu items works. I have to exit and then kill the app and start it again.

Now last time I had a problem with the interface and ball launching in Big Hurt, I deleted the app entirely and reinstalled; can't say I want to do that again, but this is damned annoying. I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this.

iPad Air 2, iOS 10.0.2

saspin

Aug 22, 2014
I've had the same issue. iPad Air 1 IOS 10.0.2

Scott

I've been having an issue running any other table from the introduction of this new UI. I can start an initial game just fine, but when I exit to the table menu screen to choose another, it just highlights the button and no pop-up appears to let me launch a table and none of the other menu items works. I have to exit and then kill the app and start it again.

Now last time I had a problem with the interface and ball launching in Big Hurt, I deleted the app entirely and reinstalled; can't say I want to do that again, but this is damned annoying. I can't believe I'm the only one seeing this.

iPad Air 2, iOS 10.0.2

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Damn, you'd a thought they'd have fixed that by now! Amongst other things like the needlessly giant icons...

Yeah, I mean... Lately it hasn't been a huge issue for me just because I've been playing the same table over and over. But maybe some type of scroll bar could help.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I had that problem of non-starting table tiles/icons in an earlier TPA update, now it's fine although I have been playing dr. Who quite incessantly and haven't tested the behaviour thoroughly. Doing a remote backup (always!), logging in/out, deleting and restoring one table, and doing a full delete/restore are the usual things to try. But that is like preaching to the choir for the grizzled TPA veterans that have posted here :)

dtruchan

Oct 1, 2016

I have the same problem on an iPhone 6S+ (10.0.2) and iPad 2 (9.3.5).

I now launch all my games from the shopping cart screen.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
[MENTION=6341]dtruchan[/MENTION], that works, thanks! Really hating the new UI because of this! Latest update the scrolling is broken after you quit a game - not that I could launch another table anyway, but still!

Last edited:

Brandon Garvin

FarSight Employee
Oct 10, 2016
[MENTION=6341]dtruchan[/MENTION], that works, thanks! Really hating the new UI because of this! Latest update the scrolling is broken after you quit a game - not that I could launch another table anyway, but still!

I've been looking into the scrolling issue you're having, but so far I'm unable to reproduce it. Previously you said you were using an iPad Air 2 running iOS 10.0.2, is that still the case? Also, are you running the paid or free version of TPA on your device? We want to make sure issues like this get fixed, so any additional information you can give me is helpful!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.