TPA PS4 US launch countdown!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Dumb question, but: Really? And will PS3 controllers work on PS4?

They are giving all the details as of yet, but according to Sony it will work on some PS3 games when connected with a USB cable.

It will also work with PC & Mac.

Speaking of the DS4, has Farsight said weather they use the same control scheme? 1 controller for all players to share or...?

I also think it would be neat if they had an option to send the flipper sounds to the controller's speaker.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
They are giving all the details as of yet, but according to Sony it will work on some PS3 games when connected with a USB cable.

It will also work with PC & Mac.

Speaking of the DS4, has Farsight said weather they use the same control scheme? 1 controller for all players to share or...?

I also think it would be neat if they had an option to send the flipper sounds to the controller's speaker.

The controller scheme is the same. Only support for one controller at a time. I told the FarSight guy that was kind of annoying. He said he would pass along at the next team meeting that PlayStation players at the Expo want multi controller support. So if you want to use multiple controllers you'll have to change controller numbers. Hopefully that works the same on the PS4.

They aren't using any of the new features of the controller at least at the launch of the PS4. I wouldn't hold my breath for them to add new controller features. Controllers just don't seem to be FarSight's thing. PHoF for the PS3 had some whacky issues with flipper spasms when more than one controller was used.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
That's true. They don't seem to be very tuned into some pretty basic controller stuff. ; P

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
To their credit they were able to get the DMD moved to the Wii U controller
hqdefault.jpg

Does anyone know if they used the speaker on that controller for flipper sounds?

I brought up the idea of having the flipper sounds come out of the DS4 controller to Zen and that said "that's actually a really neat idea!"
which probably means they've already implemented it in their WIP.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
It would actually work better with the PS Vita. You could place the PS Vita above the display, freeing up the entire screen for the table.
Then you wouldn't have to keep staring down at your controller to see the score.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Then you wouldn't have to keep staring down at your controller to see the score.

Yeah I mean that's why it's kind of silly. ; ) And the score doesn't take up much screen space, anyway, and you're already looking at the big screen to begin with, so it's kind of handy having it there.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Yeah I mean that's why it's kind of silly. ; ) And the score doesn't take up much screen space, anyway, and you're already looking at the big screen to begin with, so it's kind of handy having it there.

Just as an option it would be nice. If their goal is to preserve and try to replicate authentic pinball machines then getting the DMD onto a separate display seems like a good move to me.

I feel the same with force feedback and flipper sounds coming from the DS4 controller.
Sony is providing the tools.. I hope Farsight uses them to the best of their ability.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Agreed. I remember being impressed with how cool it sounded playing Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed on Wii U with the player voice coming from the controller, although the Wii U is GamePad is stereo - a shame the DS4 only is with a headset. I later switched to the Xbox 360 version of the game and missed that.

Still, a flipper sound and matching vibration would add a lot to the feel of the game. Its another reason I feel the PS4 is so much better than Xbox One. Vibration motors in the triggers is not as much of an improvement as a touchpad, speaker and Move functionality IMO. Although I will probably get an Xbox One controller for the PC just to see how it feels next to DS4.

As for the PS Vita, I would TOTALLY use it as a DMD below my TV if given a choice as its easier to just glance up/down than looking to a corner, but having it in the middle of the TV obstructs precious playfield display space. Then again, they could also use a smartphone via the Playstation Network app designed for this sort of thing so its not limited to the Vita.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Just found out PS4 only does digital audio out--HDMI or optical. Whoops! Gonna have to get some adapters for my old analog speakers, I guess.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Just found out PS4 only does digital audio out--HDMI or optical. Whoops! Gonna have to get some adapters for my old analog speakers, I guess.

Crap I didn't think of that. I figured they would continue to support the additional PlayStation I/O port which they have since 1995. I used this just to wire a set of headphones.

Overall I am pretty unhappy with Sony's decisions lately.
I saw this coming when they stated Red Book CDs would no longer play in the PS4, but now we can't even play MP3's on it.

It's an obvious move to push their lousy (IMO) Music Unlimited streaming service. I bought a year of it last October when it was 75% off (shows you how desperate they are to sell it) and I've probably used it all of 10 times. Now it's back up to $85 or something and they expect people to buy it if they want to have music on their PS4. It's BS.

Oh an no more external hard drives to connect to the PS4 or even DNLA (A Sony invention btw). So they've made totally sure we won't be listening to our favorite and FREE music on the PS4.

Also, we'll have to buy Sony branded Bluetooth headsets since they're blocking 3rd party BT headsets.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
They are making sure that the PS4 will be profitable as soon as possible. I don't have a problem with Sony making a profit but it's such a departure from the PS3. The PS3 was all about choices for the consumer. So few games for the PS3 would let me play my own music. Now it will be zero. :p

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

I just remembered all Dual Shock 4 controllers have an 8th" audio out so I can use that for headphones. I assume it's full quality, stereo, etc. as with there official Bluetooth headphones.

I think the last controllers to have a headphone jack were on the 3DO! :)

From FAQ:
Is it possible to output all game audio through DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s 3.5mm headset jack?
Yes, you can select the Output to Headsets option to either ‘Chat Audio’ or “All Audio.”

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Crap I didn't think of that. I figured they would continue to support the additional PlayStation I/O port which they have since 1995. I used this just to wire a set of headphones.

Overall I am pretty unhappy with Sony's decisions lately.
I saw this coming when they stated Red Book CDs would no longer play in the PS4, but now we can't even play MP3's on it.

It's an obvious move to push their lousy (IMO) Music Unlimited streaming service. I bought a year of it last October when it was 75% off (shows you how desperate they are to sell it) and I've probably used it all of 10 times. Now it's back up to $85 or something and they expect people to buy it if they want to have music on their PS4. It's BS.

Oh an no more external hard drives to connect to the PS4 or even DNLA (A Sony invention btw). So they've made totally sure we won't be listening to our favorite and FREE music on the PS4.

Also, we'll have to buy Sony branded Bluetooth headsets since they're blocking 3rd party BT headsets.
Yoshida said he spoke with the development team and this was not a business decision. They will look into adding this back later (as far as the DLNA and MP3s go).
Pretty sure they said the same about Bluetooth headsets, support for those will be added later. Because apparently even the Sony Bluetooth headsets won't work either.

edit: just saw this come through. Looks like the 3 things I mentioned above might all be added with the 2nd system update which would be late 2013/early 2014.
http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update/

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Yoshida said he spoke with the development team and this was not a business decision. They will look into adding this back later (as far as the DLNA and MP3s go).
Pretty sure they said the same about Bluetooth headsets, support for those will be added later. Because apparently even the Sony Bluetooth headsets won't work either.

edit: just saw this come through. Looks like the 3 things I mentioned above might all be added with the 2nd system update which would be late 2013/early 2014.
http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update/

Thanks. That's good to know.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I just remembered all Dual Shock 4 controllers have an 8th" audio out so I can use that for headphones. I assume it's full quality, stereo, etc. as with there official Bluetooth headphones.

I think the last controllers to have a headphone jack were on the 3DO! :)

Ah, interesting! Hm I guess I could even have plugged my speakers right into that but it would kind of defeat the purpose of a wireless controller. Good to know for headphone use though!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.