TPA Wii U version info?

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Yeah there were some unhappy folks there at Zen. I'm not going to lie, I was unhappy too. It was no fault of Zen though. NoA seems to be the one dropping the ball here. I hope TPA and Zen can drop this month. Now I currently have $74.40 in my wallet ready to be spent on both pinball giants.

I've got a little more than that in my account. Enough for every table in TPA, should they all be available on day 1, plus some I'm pretty sure (haven't done the math exactly). And nothing to spend it on... ... ... still.:(

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
from PinWiz's latest big update:
"FarSight is still looking to submit the Wii U version of The Pinball Arcade to NOA and NOE as soon as possible."

Seems like I've heard this one before...:(

Seems like they won't even manage to get it out during Nintendo's ridiculously long "launch window". :( :(

Seems like if you want to play TPA on anything with enough power to properly simulate the original machine's play experience in a digital environment (aka on a console) you are going to have to wait endlessly. :( Especially on one that can run it at 1080p without lag.

Seems like FS doesn't care much at all about following through in a timely manner on what they've said.

Last edited:

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I think they had good intentions, but I don't doubt it's coming; maybe there's more issues than they originally thought. Certainly the way the Wii U handles DLC is pretty important to get right. I know I only bought a few tables for the Mac version because I intend to use the Wii U version as my sole TV-based PBA system so I'm keen as mustard to see it, but I'm willing to wait if it makes a difference in the quality of the product.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I think they had good intentions, but I don't doubt it's coming; maybe there's more issues than they originally thought. Certainly the way the Wii U handles DLC is pretty important to get right. I know I only bought a few tables for the Mac version because I intend to use the Wii U version as my sole TV-based PBA system so I'm keen as mustard to see it, but I'm willing to wait if it makes a difference in the quality of the product.

See, I want to think like this. But, the system has been out for 4 months. They've had dev kits a lot longer than that. They should have been in constant contact with Nintendo to make sure the DLC will work right (to avoid the problems Zen is having, which God willing, they will not have whenever they get TPA out), they should have been pushing Nintendo to list them as "coming soon" with a hype video to watch in the eShop (like Zen). They should have not said a word about launch day, and used the Nintendo-approved term "launch window" (TM) all along, instead of only after they missed launch day. And they should have not even done that if it wasn't/isn't going to make it out before March 31st, the "official" end of Nintendo's "launch window" (TM). That's my problem. Of course I want it to work right, of course I want it to be the best version (at least until the PC/PS4/Nextbox minor upgrade), of course I can't f*****g wait to play all those new tables (since Pack #3 on 360), but I want them to stick to what they say, and make it happen, instead of silence (which is even worse, than "sorry, here's why..."), and delays.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Well, after the non-commital noises about the next Playstation and Microsoft consoles I feel pretty encouraged about the announced Wii U release myself. And I'll continue to do iOS. I'm hopeful that Nintendo will have a better DLC policy that will allow for near lock-step release with iOS and Mac.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
...I'm hopeful that Nintendo will have a better DLC policy that will allow for near lock-step release with iOS and Mac.

That is the hope. And that it doesn't take them months after release to get all the tables out that are already on Android/iOS.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Well it's official. Zen Pinball 2 is finally dropping in NA on the 21st March. It's a confirmed date from Zen and Nintendo. It's about time! Now I'm waiting on FarSight to drop something for the Wii U.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Well it's official. Zen Pinball 2 is finally dropping in NA on the 21st March. It's a confirmed date from Zen and Nintendo. It's about time! Now I'm waiting on FarSight to drop something for the Wii U.

Considering they just dropped a ton of news without so much as a peep about the Wii U version, don't hold your breath, Rafie.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Considering they just dropped a ton of news without so much as a peep about the Wii U version, don't hold your breath, Rafie.

Well to be fair, they never EVER confirmed an actual date for an NA release before. This time they have an actual date.

https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?5066-Zen-Pinball-2-Coming-to-Nintendo-Wii-U-eShop/page5

....just scroll down to where you see Barbiebobomb (Zen's community manager) post the actual date.

Also.. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/zen_pinball_2_launches_into_north_america_on_21st_march

Like I said, Zen never put a date on a release for ZP2 before and now we got one. Great thing about it is that it's next week. I'm sure they (Zen and NoA) want to piss off the fans even more than they already have with this being 2 months behind the EU.

I believe it will be here. That's more than I can say for the Wii U's version of TPA. Not even a peep. We probably won't see it until sometime in the summer they it's going. It's a little bit hard to get excited for it.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Well to be fair, they never EVER confirmed an actual date for an NA release before. This time they have an actual date.

https://forum.zenstudios.com/showthread.php?5066-Zen-Pinball-2-Coming-to-Nintendo-Wii-U-eShop/page5

....just scroll down to where you see Barbiebobomb (Zen's community manager) post the actual date.

Also.. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/zen_pinball_2_launches_into_north_america_on_21st_march

Like I said, Zen never put a date on a release for ZP2 before and now we got one. Great thing about it is that it's next week. I'm sure they (Zen and NoA) want to piss off the fans even more than they already have with this being 2 months behind the EU.

I believe it will be here. That's more than I can say for the Wii U's version of TPA. Not even a peep. We probably won't see it until sometime in the summer they it's going. It's a little bit hard to get excited for it.

I was talking about TPA in that previous post, not Zen :)

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
If they had gotten this out in a timely manner, I'd have ended up buying every table. Now? I'm waiting for the PS4 version. The announced features and improvements are worth the wait. So, in that sense, I'm kind of happy that it has taken so long.

Mobile versions are enough until PS4.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I was talking about TPA in that previous post, not Zen :)

Oh damn! Sorry about that! Yeah I won't hold my breath either for a while. I was really looking forward to some TPA on the Wii U. I really was. I just hope they don't decide to launch the game when big titles like Mario Kart U and others come. That would be a bad business move on FarSight's part.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I've actually come up with a positive reason for the delay. Given the Wii U's improved network play and Bobby King's recent interview where he says they want to focus on adding online play features, what if the reason for the delay is to ensure the Wii U has online play in the initial release before other platforms?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm actually glad Zen Studios released Zen Pinball 2 on the Wii U in Europe first and as we all witnessed, they had trouble with in-game purchases where you had to download the demo of each table AND purchase them to get them to show up as unlocked in the game. Remember, The Pinball Arcade doesn't have demos anymore for the majority of the Table Add-On packs for consoles, so just imagine what would have happened if The Pinball Arcade was released on the Wii U and no one could access or play any of the Add-On tables they purchased and then have to wait another month or two for the issues to be sorted out before they could play any of them.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
I'm actually glad Zen Studios released Zen Pinball 2 on the Wii U in Europe first and as we all witnessed, they had trouble with in-game purchases where you had to download the demo of each table AND purchase them to get them to show up as unlocked in the game. Remember, The Pinball Arcade doesn't have demos anymore for the majority of the Table Add-On packs for consoles, so just imagine what would have happened if The Pinball Arcade was released on the Wii U and no one could access or play any of the Add-On tables they purchased and then have to wait another month or two for the issues to be sorted out before they could play any of them.

Good point, PiN WiZ! I guess FarSight wants to REALLY make sure that the same thing doesn't happen to them.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah having to download demos in batches of five kind of sucked; once installed I cannot see an easy way to remove them short of deleting the app and then re downloading it and my purchases. I have a 2TB hard drive so I'm not bothered though. I expect Pinball Arcade will either not do demos or hopefully pre-load them in the initial release. Nintendo sounds like they'll be more flexible with updates, but perhaps the handling of demos is part of what's caused the delay.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Yeah having to download demos in batches of five kind of sucked; once installed I cannot see an easy way to remove them short of deleting the app and then re downloading it and my purchases. I have a 2TB hard drive so I'm not bothered though. I expect Pinball Arcade will either not do demos or hopefully pre-load them in the initial release. Nintendo sounds like they'll be more flexible with updates, but perhaps the handling of demos is part of what's caused the delay.

Sean, where can I buy a 2 terabyte HD from? Does Nintendo sale them, or is this just an external HD?

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Sean, where can I buy a 2 terabyte HD from? Does Nintendo sale them, or is this just an external HD?

Any USB 2.0 External HDD with it's own power supply (increasingly hard to find, but still pretty available) that is no bigger than 2TB will work with the Wii U, and it was totally painless to format and start using. Sorry for not being Sean:)

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Any USB 2.0 External HDD with it's own power supply (increasingly hard to find, but still pretty available) that is no bigger than 2TB will work with the Wii U, and it was totally painless to format and start using. Sorry for not being Sean:)

Thank you. I'm happy you answered. I really needed something other than the 32 gigs that I know will be used up as soon as more games come out this year. Especially with both pinball giants releasing more tables. I'll need the memory.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I got one of those shiny black Seagate expansion units, however the Western Digital MyBook drives (I have a 3TB Firewire 800 one for my media) are more highly rated. I definitley wouldn't go cheap, regardless of what you end up with. Not much sense getting a drive that's likely to fail less than a year in.

Members online

Members online