UK Pinball

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Another 3 German goals - back to the pinball.

Might pop in next week to check it out and see how rusty i am. I was on a course in Middlesex Street a couple of months ago, but dont remember seeing the place.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I have to say Turbine, I was there a few weeks ago and I can't remember it either. Looks like its up the street a bit. Hope it's not one of those cramped underground places

If I've got time next week during the day, bar Wednesday, I'll make a point of having a walk down

N

Nik Barbour

Would be really interested in what you think of the Ukpinball meet Nik

RE The end of June Northwest UKpinball.com meet

There is literally one day I can't do this month, and guess when the meet is, yep - that day! Gutted!:( (my missus has our car - and I'm babysitting)

Incase any one else is interested, the meet is on Sat 30/6/2012 and will be in Brighouse nr Leeds.
Its an open invite event, with a Barbecue starting at 11am (take your own beer).
League play starts at 2pm

following tables will be available.....
Junkyard
Road show
Doctor Who
Indy 500
STTNG
WCS94
TAF

I was told its pretty open, so if anyone was interested you should try and blag yourself an invite by emailing Mark at info@ukpinball.com

Again Gutted - I've asked if I can be included on the next one, but due to having to turn this one down.....who knows.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
RE The end of June Northwest UKpinball.com meet

There is literally one day I can't do this month, and guess when the meet is, yep - that day! Gutted!:( (my missus has our car - and I'm babysitting)

Incase any one else is interested, the meet is on Sat 30/6/2012 and will be in Brighouse nr Leeds.
Its an open invite event, with a Barbecue starting at 11am (take your own beer).
League play starts at 2pm

following tables will be available.....
Junkyard
Road show
Doctor Who
Indy 500
STTNG
WCS94
TAF

I was told its pretty open, so if anyone was interested you should try and blag yourself an invite by emailing Mark at info@ukpinball.com

Again Gutted - I've asked if I can be included on the next one, but due to having to turn this one down.....who knows.

It's always the same Nik... God barfs in your breakfast yet again.....

Looks like a good array of pins though, similar to the London meets I was looking at online. BBQ, beer and pins. Does life get better?

I'm sure you'll be fine for next time....

N

Nik Barbour

Hey Chris!
Nice analogy man - I might use that one.

You going to go to a London meet?

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I checked out the ukpinballparty.com website and it looks pretty cool but I don't think I'd enjoy it. Like beer festivals I feel that these kind of things (beer & pinball) are probably best enjoyed in their native environments rather than a big hall where you gorge yourself. Has anyone read "the real ale twats" in Viz? I'd just be worried that a fun game of pinball could turn into a big bragging session!

Having said that I'm kind of lucky having a Spider-Man & an Avatar pinball in two pubs near me in Derby city centre, so I can understand why someone would attend if they don't have a pinball machine to play nearby. (I would have never set foot in Walkabout if pinformer hadn't alerted me to the Avatar machine in there).

I like playing golf (I'm rubbish) but I joined a golf society and it really took the fun out of golf for me, too much bragging for a non-competitive person like myself. Now I just play golf on my own or with other friends who are crap too.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I'm right with you Doped.. Earlier in the thread you'll see turbine mentioning a pub in Central London. £10 entry, all pins to free play plus a tourney? Not for me. Couple of beers in a pub with a pin, perfect. That said, I'd definitely go with friends on a non tourney night.

Did pinbeer for 5 years in the city of London at a pub called the new moon in Gracechurch Street. Fantastic. Pin skills never improved cos we were always drunk.. Laughing.

The advantage of the Ukpinball Nik and I are looking at is the standard of the tables. All cat 5. If a machine goes out even with a minor fault, there's a reserve. But, it's all done in very much a small gathering kind of way, in someone's house as far as I can tell. That way it's all mates, beer and food. No pressure on who's the best.

Would you agree Nik? Judging from what you've read?

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
I'm right with you Doped.. Earlier in the thread you'll see turbine mentioning a pub in Central London. £10 entry, all pins to free play plus a tourney? Not for me. Couple of beers in a pub with a pin, perfect. That said, I'd definitely go with friends on a non tourney night.

Did pinbeer for 5 years in the city of London at a pub called the new moon in Gracechurch Street. Fantastic. Pin skills never improved cos we were always drunk.. Laughing.

The advantage of the Ukpinball Nik and I are looking at is the standard of the tables. All cat 5. If a machine goes out even with a minor fault, there's a reserve. But, it's all done in very much a small gathering kind of way, in someone's house as far as I can tell. That way it's all mates, beer and food. No pressure on who's the best.

Would you agree Nik? Judging from what you've read?

I thought the UK pinball party was at a hotel? But it does seem like we're on the same page :)

N

Nik Barbour

@Doped. I know what you mean!
Just fancied playing some real machines again (planning a trip to play an Avatar machine that's on Pinformer)
Was a bit worried about walking into a house full of stranger's incase they told me 'yeah - all new members wear the gimp suit, it's traditional' but having spoke with a few of them last week, they seem like really passionate generous guy's who just want people to enjoy these machines.

Would be great to talk (not text) with people who are actually into pinball, my mates groan now when I mention anything to do with it.
I just (this dinner break) got 91st position on Gorgar score board - mentioned it to the guy next to me, who said "does that make you the 91st biggest nerd on the planet?". I'm 6ft 2 and 17stone, i've never been called a nerd before in all my life. But people in the UK just don't get pinball anymore!

N

Nik Barbour

Pinball party is at a hotel with 110 machines approx.

The local meets are at members houses bi-monthly (7 tables this month NW meet)

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I'm still considering going, its the day after I get home from Corfu and the day before I go back to work but its a 2 1/2 hour drive! Please have it in Cardiff next time!

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
@Doped. I know what you mean!
Just fancied playing some real machines again (planning a trip to play an Avatar machine that's on Pinformer)
Was a bit worried about walking into a house full of stranger's incase they told me 'yeah - all new members wear the gimp suit, it's traditional' but having spoke with a few of them last week, they seem like really passionate generous guy's who just want people to enjoy these machines.

Would be great to talk (not text) with people who are actually into pinball, my mates groan now when I mention anything to do with it.
I just (this dinner break) got 91st position on Gorgar score board - mentioned it to the guy next to me, who said "does that make you the 91st biggest nerd on the planet?". I'm 6ft 2 and 17stone, i've never been called a nerd before in all my life. But people in the UK just don't get pinball anymore!

My friend always referred to pinball machines as "migraines in a box" until I gave him 3 credits on Spider-Man at the pub, he got 2 matches and pumped another 3 quid in!

Being 5'8, 10 stone and a comic fan, nerd is something I'm used to. Take it as a compliment, especially if you are built like a brick outhouse :)

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
My mates moan like bugger at any mention of pinball now, apart from the guys coming to Ramsgate...

My far better half just laughs and thinks they're silly. But of course a pair of jimmy choos sandals at God knows what cost are perfectly sensible...

At 6 foot 2 and 17 stone Nik, the only thing I'd call you is 'sir'....

N

Nik Barbour

My friend always referred to pinball machines as "migraines in a box" until I gave him 3 credits on Spider-Man at the pub, he got 2 matches and pumped another 3 quid in!

Being 5'8, 10 stone and a comic fan, nerd is something I'm used to. Take it as a compliment, especially if you are built like a brick outhouse :)

@Doped
I'll treat it as a 'badge of honour'!
Thanks mate.

@ Chris
Laughing!
I'd like to say it's all muscle - but most of it is just good living!

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I checked out the ukpinballparty.com website and it looks pretty cool but I don't think I'd enjoy it. Like beer festivals I feel that these kind of things (beer & pinball) are probably best enjoyed in their native environments rather than a big hall where you gorge yourself. Has anyone read "the real ale twats" in Viz? I'd just be worried that a fun game of pinball could turn into a big bragging session!
The really competitive players tend to congregate around the tournament games... Which leaves the rest to be played in a far more relaxed manner. :)

Might be fun to get a few of us from here along. TPA has got me back wanting to play the real thing again.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Great post Nik, tickets just bought, will be travelling up from Berkshire with the gf! Came back from PHOF in Vegas and didn't think there'd be anything like this in the UK, will post an update when I get back for other UK board members. Many Thanks

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.