Version 1.45.x

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Here are my settings for 1080x1920 DX11. I have zero problems launching the game and it correctly goes to fullscreen immediately.

Vlmiap7.png

I had a GTX770 and I started having problems with the game opening full screen at 1600x1200 and I had to use ALT+ENTER to switch to windowed mode and then ALT+ENTER to go back to full screen, where the game is then at 1920x1080. I play in landscape mode, so my settings are exactly the same as yours except the height and width settings are swapped.

I upgraded my video card to a GTX970 and the problems persisted. The graphics drivers have always been updated to the latest stable release version.

I recently upgraded my OS from Windows 7 Home Premium to Window 10 Pro. It was a COMPLETE reinstall, and I went from 2x500GB IDE drives in RAID 0 to a single 960GB SSD, so there was no trace of any old drivers or game software left over.

I still need to use ALT+ENTER twice to go from 1600x1200 to 1920x1080 full screen. I have 2 monitors, a ViewSonic VA2702w and an Acer H233H that are both 1920x1080 60Hz native resolution. I'm going to check to see if this behavior occurs on both monitors or just one of them. I did attempt to swap the connection ports between the monitors and the graphics card with no success. It has to be the monitor, the cable, or the game.

EDIT: I switched my primary display from the 27" ViewSonic to the 23" Acer and the problem with the game opening full screen at 1600x1200 was gone. So only one of my monitors has this issue. It could still the be the game causing the issue, but it is looking more like the cable or the monitor itself is the issue for my situation. I did attempt just about every option with regards to scaling with both the GPU and the display and none of the settings made any difference. I just live with it. I start the game and select ALT+ENTER twice at the launch page to get the game to appear in full screen at my display's native resolution.

Now if they would just tone down the extra balls for JD, I might feel compelled to give it another try. It wouldn't be a bad idea to reset the leaderboards if they do up the difficulty level a bit.

Last edited:

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
There isn't anything in TPA's properties -> set launch options... too right?

I play in windowed and have an app that recognizes when certain windows I launch should be a fullscreen-windowed (borderless window) mode and changes them to that.. since that feature is still missing in DX11 but DX9 has it.

Last edited:

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
There isn't anything in TPA's properties -> set launch options... too right?

That is blank for me. Like I said, I just reinstalled everything new, and the Steam client and any games I wanted to play had to be downloaded and reinstalled. This has been an issue since DX11 beta.

invitro

May 4, 2012
It would help if completing a set of crime scenes didn't award an EB every time.

Really I think someone left some easy test settings in the ROM when it was released.

Some info from the manual at http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1322/Bally_1993_Judge_Dredd_Manual.pdf :

Adjustment A.2 01 is Extra Ball Percent - "This is used to determine the stepping amount of crime scenes needed to lite Extra Ball // Range 5% - 30%". This is the only adjustment in the difficulty settings that relates to EB's. The levels are 20 (extra easy, easy), 18 (medium), and 15 (hard, extra hard). (The difficulty is set in Utilities, U.9.)

Also, Adjustment A.1 03 is Maximum Extra Balls, and has a range of 1-10. Does this mean JD can't be set to unlimited EB's?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Some info from the manual at http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1322/Bally_1993_Judge_Dredd_Manual.pdf :

Adjustment A.2 01 is Extra Ball Percent - "This is used to determine the stepping amount of crime scenes needed to lite Extra Ball // Range 5% - 30%". This is the only adjustment in the difficulty settings that relates to EB's. The levels are 20 (extra easy, easy), 18 (medium), and 15 (hard, extra hard). (The difficulty is set in Utilities, U.9.)

Also, Adjustment A.1 03 is Maximum Extra Balls, and has a range of 1-10. Does this mean JD can't be set to unlimited EB's?

From the Cameron Silver rules sheet linked from IPDB...

On our machine, extra ball was lit at both targets after 7 crime scenes, and the next at 22.

And every 15 Scenes after that, pretty much forever. I've gotten the 82 Crime Scene extra ball before, and the next one was indeed lit at 97. Didn't light the 97 one, though. Drained with like 95. :(

Since TPA doesn't reflex values, it seems we're stuck with a stupidly easy setting forever. 7 + 15 seems to me to be a far better setting. Even 6 + 12.

Max EBs usually refers to the Max EBs per ball in play, if you go into the settings in Pro mode it'll probably be set to the usual 4.

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
Putting in initials is broken on JD. Flippers don't work as usual when choosing letters, triggers only enter letter. Sometimes the cursor jumps. Entering via xbox360 controller on PC.

Try switching your flipper buttons from the shoulders to the triggers.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Try switching your flipper buttons from the shoulders to the triggers.

I have the same problem, and I also have switched flippers from the default (triggers) to the shoulders.

You can still use the keyboard successfully to enter initials.

As far as navigating the initial entry screen, I'd really like it if it honored any re-mapping you've done for the flippers.

From what I can tell, what is happening is that with the triggers re-mapped to the second left/right buttons (on JD, that's the diamond/change chain link buttons), those buttons also work like pressing 'Start' when entering initials. So trying to navigate the initial entry screen with the triggers acts as an 'enter'. Same goes with NF, where the left trigger will be re-mapped to the 'Buy-In' button which I assume acts like 'Start' too when entering initials. I've not tried with Jack*Bot but I always re-map the 'Cheat' button to 'Select' so I don't get this problem.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I've gotten weird behavoir by using just shift keys, or mouse buttons to navigate using the on-screen arrows too.

I turned off my analog sticks just incase too, pressing the right arrow with a mouse kept moving the cursor right-right-right-left-left-left and wouldn't end up going anywhere outside those range of letters.

I'll try eldars suggestion, remaping the 2nd flipper bindings.

Okay, Left shift worked without [enter] confirming (right shift was bound to something else). However mouse bindings were still giving problems when pressing the left/right on-screen arrows. yt example (should be finished processing within 20min)

after reviewing the video, my cursor wasn't included, the right arrow when pressed presses both arrows but the left one does not.

Last edited:

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014
I have the same problem, and I also have switched flippers from the default (triggers) to the shoulders.

You can still use the keyboard successfully to enter initials.

As far as navigating the initial entry screen, I'd really like it if it honored any re-mapping you've done for the flippers.

From what I can tell, what is happening is that with the triggers re-mapped to the second left/right buttons (on JD, that's the diamond/change chain link buttons), those buttons also work like pressing 'Start' when entering initials. So trying to navigate the initial entry screen with the triggers acts as an 'enter'. Same goes with NF, where the left trigger will be re-mapped to the 'Buy-In' button which I assume acts like 'Start' too when entering initials. I've not tried with Jack*Bot but I always re-map the 'Cheat' button to 'Select' so I don't get this problem.

So this is an issue that could be worked around by changing the mapping?
Not that we want to keep you guys on a workaround, just so I can be clear on what the problem is so I'm not missing anything.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
So this is an issue that could be worked around by changing the mapping?
Not that we want to keep you guys on a workaround, just so I can be clear on what the problem is so I'm not missing anything.
No... by reverting to the default mapping.

The problem is with the game ignoring remapping during initial entry and forcing the triggers to be used.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Since TPA doesn't reflex values, it seems we're stuck with a stupidly easy setting forever. 7 + 15 seems to me to be a far better setting. Even 6 + 12.

Max EBs usually refers to the Max EBs per ball in play, if you go into the settings in Pro mode it'll probably be set to the usual 4.

I don't see an adjustment to change the base number of crime scenes from 7 to 6.

I should've said this: A.1 03 Maximum Extra Balls must be per game, because A.1 04 is Maximum Extra Balls / Ball in Play, and has values of OFF, or 1-10.

TheSlayerNL

Nov 5, 2013
Here are my settings for 1080x1920 DX11. I have zero problems launching the game and it correctly goes to fullscreen immediately.

Vlmiap7.png

Well here are my settings, almost same except for landscape mode, running on GTX 670, I have 2x24" screen and this has been a problem since beta, NO other game has this issue so it IS a bug in TPA.

r0QK8hi.jpg

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
Have either of you tried it with just a single monitor connected yet? I've got a GTX 960 and I can set it to full screen and it works as it should.

even if I add a second monitor (nothing is actually connected to the VGA port) it still launches correctly filling the screen...

Last edited:

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Have either of you tried it with just a single monitor connected yet? I've got a GTX 960 and I can set it to full screen and it works as it should.

Yeah, it wasn't clear that this was a dual-monitor setup. I'm running a single monitor with a GTX760. I can imagine dual-monitor set ups causing problems. Windows 7 doesn't really do it particularly well, for starters.

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
I wonder if either of them use that nvidia game profile optimizer since I never install that or other game profile stuff like DSR.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I wonder if either of them use that nvidia game profile optimizer since I never install that or other game profile stuff like DSR.

I have a spare old monitor at home, I could try a few things out. It's even a different resolution (1280x1024) to my current one. I don't use any additional optimization software, I think I may have a few app-specific settings on the nVidia control panel but that's about it.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I can imagine dual-monitor set ups causing problems. Windows 7 doesn't really do it particularly well, for starters.

this issue is so old .. tons of posts ... fullscreen never worked for everyone in DX11.
It's not about Windows 7 ...

My story (I told it 4 or 5 times):

Win 7 and 10.
One AMD GPU.
One Monitor.

- I have to use the DVI-D port of my GPU. (not the DVI-I port!)
- I have to activate GPU-Scaling in the GPU driver settings

to make fullscreen work in DX11,
otherwise I get 1600x1200 in fullscreen, no matter what I set in TPA.

I don't know what Nvidia users have to do ...
.. in fact Farsight have to do something, because it's their fault.

Last edited:

relaxation

Oct 8, 2015
We know it's not...
W7 vs W10
the hardware or driver version, if a 960&760 perform the same and a 970 is different.
a corrupt settings file if it's a new system
(you can zip them up and start a new one in My Games -> Pinball Arcade, and make a new one)
setting the resolution to something like 1650 by 1050
the steam launcher options
the steam overlay

Is there some other software on these systems that might cause a conflict?

I had an AMD HD6670 that also required to alt+enter but I thought they eventually fixed it because I remember others still having problems at the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.