Bug Very poor audio quality on PS4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
My brother just downloaded the free tables on his PS4 and the first thing he said was "why does it sound so crappy?". :/

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Depends if they're talking about the menu music or not. I noticed the menu music hadn't improved but for pretty much all the other tables it had.

It's not unusual for there to be such disparity between them. Just compare Medieval Madness and Monster Bash on 360. Really not new at all.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
The whole thing sounds like crap to me. I used to have the xbox 360 version and never noticed the sound was crap. Surely someone here has an xbox360 or PS3 AND a PS4 so they can do a direct comparison? ( someone with a decent DTS amp please not just playing through a TV )

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, he was talking about the table sounds. They're just not as high of quality as the PC and older consoles, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
Can someone post some specific examples of the poor audio? Flippy needs specifics, but I don't have all the tables to test.

I made at least one thread a while ago highlighting the difference from the other systems (eg PS3) compared to online sound clips taken directly from the actual ROMs (and high def YouTube videos of actual tables as well).

I can try to dig it up for you if it would help.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I made at least one thread a while ago highlighting the difference from the other systems (eg PS3) compared to online sound clips taken directly from the actual ROMs (and high def YouTube videos of actual tables as well).

I can try to dig it up for you if it would help.

We are looking into the differences with the audio discrepancies being reported.

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
...and so the eight month wait for a final resolution officially begins.

Last edited:

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
What FS should do is to ask some of their employees to volunteer to receive a free retail PS4 for use at home, using their own audio and tv hardware, and playing the regular retail version of TPA along with some other game titles for reference and report back about the audio issues.

FS should also open up how they use the audio vs. the 'official' method (e.g. are they doing everything themselves in software then outputting the whole thing?)

I'm still holding back on a PS4 purchase, I've gotten the steam version but would rather play on TV using a PS4 than have to build a "SteamBox" like device.

joseph5185

Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys...

Long time since I've been around these waters, but I just received a PS4 and its' great. RESOGUN is an incredible, fun, and addictive game...

More to point, I couldn't be MORE DISAPPOINTED with this excuse of a release for Pinball Arcade on the PS4. The SOUND QUALITY is atrocious and that's putting it nicely.
I have NEVER experienced a game with audio this poor, well...ever... THIS is a first time going way back to even Nintendo.

I was looking forward to purchasing Season 1 as my friend told me it was on sale for $14.99. Awesome!

HOW EXACTLY does this ACCIDENTALLY HAPPEN as far as switching the audio files. I am beyond mystified by this. There was no issues on the PS 3 or the X360. Still holding out for the X1 as well.
I have ML ESLs and it's just CONSTANT static.

Anyways, I love everything FS stands for. They have resparked a long interest in me and have exposed me to some excellent tables. Some I very well wish and probably will own some day.

Please understand that I'm doing this out of love and as an outcry for something to be done about this. People need to know. I knew it was an issue at launch, but surely a year later or so it wouldn't be right? I guess not.

Is there any difference/improvement with the actual retail game vs. the one available on the Playstation store.

I'm currently running version 1.03 for reference.

Thanks for all who listened and please feel free to respond...

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
FS should also open up how they use the audio vs. the 'official' method (e.g. are they doing everything themselves in software then outputting the whole thing?)

Pretty sure they've gone into that in detail, I think both here on the forum and in interviews or something. They pre-record all the audio, rather than having it play real-time from the emulated ROM.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
The fact that it happened in the first place, is pretty weak. Simple lack of QA and testing, which has plagued FS from the get-go. I honestly wonder sometimes if they even play the final product on a retail machine, or if they just glance over the final compiled code on their test rig and say "Post it!". Seriously, some of the bugs and issues that get out there are just scary, IMO.

The fact that it's been a KNOWN, MAJOR issue for this long, without being resolved, is simply inexcusable. Especially if it's just a "bad reference link" to the mobile audio files. Which I seriously doubt for two reasons:

1) Mobile doesn't sound that bad, lol. I play on my tablet with headphones and the audio quality is fine - even for a mobile app.

2) If that's all it was - it darn well should have been fixed by now.

I really feel bad for those that bought a launch PS4 in anticipation of TPA.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I bought the PS4 for this. I bought all the tables available initially. I've moaned here a few times about it but gave up caring a long time ago. I haven't bought any more tables or played the ones I have. I would like to see this sorted someday before I retire.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
We are looking into the differences with the audio discrepancies being reported.

While I don't have a PS4, if you want someone to listen to audio files or check sound quality by ear, or to do simple sound QA, etc., I'd be more than happy to help in my free time.

I'm very, VERY well equipped with the right audio-listening gear for this (and I like to to think I'm equipped with a good pair of ears as well).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hey guys and gals. Had a phone call from Norman, the audio engineer at FarSight. He needs specific examples of tables with poor audio, and what you are comparing it against. Saying "all of them" does not help. Instead, say "MM on PS3 vs PS4" and what your audio config is, whether it's coming from TV speakers or 5.1 surround. That way Norman can set up an A/B test and hear what you all are.

Please post in this thread with NORMAN at the top and all pertinent info. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts