Bug Very poor audio quality on PS4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
Well bummer. I'm downloading the patch as I type this, but if it isn't fixed I won't even bother trying it. Had it been fixed I would have purchased the 4 new ones.
How is it possible that we wait 9 months for them to finally fix it and after all that time the fix is broken? Sony should really pull it off PSN completely.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm not sure what platform you are on, but it certainly isn't PS4. The PS4 hasnt had a 5GB update. I just started TPA and the sound is no better. It is no longer grainy sounding due to lack of audio bitrate, but it now sounds like they added a filter over it to smooth out the sound. But the higher-resolution sound samples are still not included as of this date.

Well, that's a bummer.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Well, that's a bummer.

The sad thing is, I fired up the outdated Xbox 360 version and the sound of all 10 tables blew away its PS4 counterpart...even with the latest PS4 patch installed. The quality of the sound on the PS4 is all over the place now...no consistency what so ever.

Once again, we need PC quality sound samples implemented on all console versions.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The sad thing is, I fired up the outdated Xbox 360 version and the sound of all 10 tables blew away its PS4 counterpart...even with the latest PS4 patch installed. The quality of the sound on the PS4 is all over the place now...no consistency what so ever.

Once again, we need PC quality sound samples implemented on all console versions.

That is rather sad. A real head-scratcher indeed.

abouttreefitty

Apr 26, 2014
This is the damnedest thing. It's almost as if they just make a coding change and then release it into the wild without actually booting up a PS4 to test their changes. It seriously takes 15 minutes to go through all of the menus and tables to make a checklist of "the main menu music still sounds bad", "this table sounds good", "this table's audio is now clipping", etc.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
sound is good to me,and I`m an old bastard !!! :eek: just got the 4 new tables,played in dark and neutral mode,what can I say, absolutely beautiful.thank you FARSIGHT and PS4 !!! :cool:

Dinosaur Toy

Sep 10, 2012
The audio balance seems to have been turned down so I had to increase the volume after the patch. Everything does sound different, but there is a lot of clipping and distortion of high pitched sounds now. Separation between music and sound effects seems better, I tried every season 1 table.

Kind of annoying to play now since I have to turn the volume up to get decent sound now and that highlights the clipping.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Yep, one would think that FS would actually, like, you know... TEST their fixes before they release them. Heck, if they bothered to test the table packs correctly before release, they probably wouldn't get released full of bugs in the first place, and *not* require patches and fixes at all. Sometimes I seriously wonder if they even turn on their PS3/PS4's during the creation process.

Crazy concept, I know!!

One thing to consider, however, is that many pre-1990 games had garbage sound. Mono, 8-bit samples are not going to sound "fresh" or "clean" on any modern platform, no matter what you do to them. It's the source audio that's low-res and no amount of resampling or EQ is going to fix it.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
while waiting for the Commonwealth games to start ( great opening ceremony GLASGOW brilliant.all the best to all the competing nations.great idea holding it at CELTICS football stadium. :cool: ) I played most of the tables,my conclusion is,it sounds very similar to my pc sound.i have my PS3,PS4 & PC hooked to my tv.then again my ears are a bit old !!! :rolleyes: ps SCOTLANDS outfits looked great,nice bright colours.well done SCOTLAND !!! :)

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
while waiting for the Commonwealth games to start ( great opening ceremony GLASGOW brilliant.all the best to all the competing nations.great idea holding it at CELTICS football stadium. :cool: ) I played most of the tables,my conclusion is,it sounds very similar to my pc sound.i have my PS3,PS4 & PC hooked to my tv.then again my ears are a bit old !!! :rolleyes: ps SCOTLANDS outfits looked great,nice bright colours.well done SCOTLAND !!! :)

The reaction in Scotland was quite different, haha.

I went to High School with Amy MacDonald, the country singer that showed up near the start. True!

P.S. Those fireworks were loud! I could hear them quite clearly from my house, miles away!

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Espy I absolutely loved it !!! Amys section was great !!! my fav was the old grave digger, he can sill belt out a tune, good old Rod !!! I saw him 4 times live during the mid 1970`s.he sounds better than ever.i`m just watching the hockey.in AUST, we love you Scotts because your accent of the English language is the best in the world by far,it has so much warmth in it !!!a funny lad named BILLY with a goaty and glasses made us fall in love with you Scotts. :)

BlueMarble

Oct 25, 2012
But the higher-resolution sound samples are still not included as of this date.

Downloading the patch now. I'm reading a lot of different reactions, but it sounds like the PS4 sound is still broken overall. Fix one thing, break another. Sad to hear. Fingers crossed that Farsight will finally sort it out and fix it sooner rather than later.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Maybe if you audiophiles make a chart of all the tables, and note the current sound quality issue for each one, that would help FS sort this out. Because they seem to think they sound fine.

In other words, try to be as organized and specific as you can when reporting a bug. Currently it's a little tough to get much in the way of specifics out of this thread.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Maybe if you audiophiles make a chart of all the tables, and note the current sound quality issue for each one, that would help FS sort this out. Because they seem to think they sound fine.

In other words, try to be as organized and specific as you can when reporting a bug. Currently it's a little tough to get much in the way of specifics out of this thread.

Yes, indeed. I PMed Flippy from Farsight about this and that's exactly what he said would be helpful. In the meantime, he's going to see what he can find out from the engine and sound devs.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012

That's the way I always report issues directly to FarSight. My comments in this thread were merely posted to back up the concerns of others regarding the botched sound fix. I intend to comb through the tables on the PS4 when I have some free time and report all bugs and issues I come across and can reproduce more than once.

the ajp

Jun 17, 2012
I have my Ps4 sound going through my mixer and managed to get a reasonable if not ideal sound quality from TPA before the patch with a bit of tweeking .. The sound has certainly improved after the patch very noticable on the likes of Black Rose and Junkyard but as many have said there is noticable clipping and noise on the tables sound that wasn't there before where no amount of equalizing is going to help .
Certainly doesn't spoil the game that much and on a more positive note i think the four new tables look amazing on the PS4 .. great work :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts