What else are you looking forward to on PS4?

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
I'm just happy I'm smarter this time around and just paying $50/year for PS+ rather than $300+/year buying games. Turns out they end up free on PS+ long before I even take the shrink wrap off the box!

So I guess it's just tell Sony to crank up the PS4 PS+ games because they're really slow right out of the gate.

Especially since the PS4 went up in price to $450 and games are now $65 for multiplatform and $70 for exclusives. Just takes one good game a year for PS+ to pay itself off!

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just to clarify, the price increases are only to Canada, and only because the Canadian dollar has dropped a lot compared to the US dollar. I expect we'll start seeing a difference in the prices of digital titles as well :(

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Actually, not the US dollar, the Yen. Sony's hurting on the PS4 sales - they're not in good financial shape and with the Yen strengthening, they're losing even more money selling in Canada.

It's why Microsoft's not bothering to raise prices, and Nintendo's in enough pain with the Wii U that they're not jacking it up either. Likewise, Vita prices are the same.

As long as you don't buy games and go for PS+, even at the higher price PS4 is still a bargain. Just have to be a bit patient with releases, but no reason to spend more than $50/year on the PS4.

Feb 19, 2014
Actually, not the US dollar, the Yen. Sony's hurting on the PS4 sales - they're not in good financial shape and with the Yen strengthening, they're losing even more money selling in Canada.

It's why Microsoft's not bothering to raise prices, and Nintendo's in enough pain with the Wii U that they're not jacking it up either. Likewise, Vita prices are the same.

As long as you don't buy games and go for PS+, even at the higher price PS4 is still a bargain. Just have to be a bit patient with releases, but no reason to spend more than $50/year on the PS4.

I was under the impression that the Yen was deflating, and Sony breaks even or even makes a small profit on ps4.

Sony as a company as a whole is in rough shape, but the PlayStation devision is doing well.

Even at 450$ ( I don't live in canada btw) ps4 is still a good deal IMO. That's still 50$ cheaper than Xbox one, less money for better hardware.

Seems like either the company is going ok and the PlayStation is pulling them down (ps3) or the company is doing poorly with PlayStation doing well (now and I heard this was the case back in ps1 and 2 days).

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I like seeing mention that Nintendo is in some financial trouble just because the wii u isn't the success they hoped for. People don't seem to realize that they have piles of cash assets just sitting around and next to no debt if not none at all. They could probably field 2 or 3 more complete failures without batting an eye. When's the last time they've had more than one consecutive failure?

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
I like seeing mention that Nintendo is in some financial trouble just because the wii u isn't the success they hoped for. People don't seem to realize that they have piles of cash assets just sitting around and next to no debt if not none at all. They could probably field 2 or 3 more complete failures without batting an eye. When's the last time they've had more than one consecutive failure?

Yep I don't get it. I could see from the outset the Wii U wasn't much different from it predecessor, but I'm sure they will come up with something amazing again, and I will end up buying it just for the first party titles.

Feb 19, 2014

You're right. Selling 5 million consoles a year means they'll do 25-30 lifetime which is more than GameCube or the original Xbox. Who knows maybe Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, and a price cut they could do even better.

People are definitely blowing it out of proportion, but it makes me question what's going on in Iwata's head. You'd think after the incredible success of the Wii, that they could afford to release competitive hardware, and try to get 3rd party support as the other two consoles. Even moreso given that Sony and Microsoft both were pretty conservative all things considered with the hardware this time around (both sell at profit from day 1 IIRC), this was Nintendo's chance to get back the core gamer back in addition to their casual audience... instead they lost both groups, and have to depend on the Nintendo diehards. But the Nintendo diehards are enough to support a console with 25 million. Nintendo will never sell less than 20 million units and they can always be relevant, but I know personally if they released a machine that had the same 3rd party and similar power to the bone and 4, it would be my primary machine. I mean who wouldn't, Nintendo's first party is incredible.

Feb 19, 2014
Back on topic. Finished Ground Zeroes main mission.

Got a D as overall rank. Did another playthrough, and ended up with an A. I was spotted only once, but restarted 3 times, didn't realize it counted that. I don't know what's higher than A (perhaps S?) but I can definitely finish it without getting spotted and improve my time.

Once you beat the main mission (which takes about 1.5 hours the first time through), you unlock 3 new missions. Haven't played them yet. I'm 11% complete.

It's incredibly fun and well made, first metal gear I've played since 2 on PS2. The graphics are basically the same as 360/PS3 but in 1080p, 60 fps, and with better textures, improved lighting and models, and added effects. I think the game looks great.

You'll want to play through it over and over and discover all the secrets. But 30$ is a little pricey for the content that you get. I mean it's half the price of a full game, yet it's not half the content of a full Metal Gear game, not even close. Dead Rising 2 did something similar with Case Zero, but Case Zero was 5$! I dunno. Personally I love the game and have already put 5 hours into it and am only 11% complete. But just keep in mind this is not a full game here, it's only an introduction or "Prologue" to the main game, which is called Metal Gear Solid V Phantom Pain.

I enjoy Killlzone Shadow Fall. The graphics are basically the best graphics I have ever seen in my life. But the framerate absolutely kills it for me. I am used to 30FPS shooters. Gears of War and Halo Reach are my two favorite shooters on the 360, and both are 30 FPS. And Killzone never, ever drops below 30. Yet, the framerate gives me an absolute migrane headache and it just kills the entire experience for me. I don't know if it's because I've been spoiled by 1080P/60FPS, as literally all my other games on PS4 are 1080/60 (Resogun, Flower, Tomb Raider, Pinball Arcade, Metal Gear Ground Zeroes) or because it has variable framerate (game is anywhere between 30 fps and 45 fps, and fluctuates constantly). Regardless of what it is, I wish I had gotten Battlefield instead :/

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Infamous is out today. Getting great reviews so far.

I've been playing the heck out of Assassin's Creed 4. That game is awesome. Such a huge, beautiful, detailed world. There's just soooooo much in the game. Major improvement over AC3 and the best in the series since AC2, my personal choice for best game of all-time.

I've got Killzone but haven't played it. Picked it up for $10 a couple weeks ago at Best Buy but have been too busy with AC4 to play anything else.

Resogun is fantastic. Ditto for Zen Pinball 2. And, of course, TPA. That covers my PS4 game library :) Right now, though, it's all AC4, all the time.

WizardDave

Mar 15, 2014
It would be nice in general if the HUD could be replaced with the full color graphics used for the back pane on the pinball machine itself as an option that is choose-able by the player.

I don't know if this is the best forum to suggest this. If not, let me know.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
It would be nice in general if the HUD could be replaced with the full color graphics used for the back pane on the pinball machine itself as an option that is choose-able by the player.

I don't know if this is the best forum to suggest this. If not, let me know.

What game are you talking about?

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
I have been playing Infamous Second Son. What an awesome game!

Much grittier than previous iterations and the graphics absolutely rock! My wife's jaw dropped to the floor when she saw the game in play.

I won't bother you with the synopsis of the game because IGN has a very complete walk through with video capture.

Just thought I'd share this with all the PS4 owners out there.

Timelord ...

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Mercenary Kings looks like it could be fun in a Metal Slug-inspired way, providing they don't go overboard on making you do non-action crafting stuff.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Mercenary Kings looks like it could be fun in a Metal Slug-inspired way, providing they don't go overboard on making you do non-action crafting stuff.

I like what they did with the app art-referencing the old Konami NES box art. I may get this one! On another pinball tangent, I'm also looking forward to new ZP2 tables. Hopefully they tap more of the Disney vault with some Tron or Indiana Jones stuff. Although they probably have enough Marvel/Star Wars material to work with.

Feb 19, 2014
Mini Game Reviews:

Killzone: best graphics I've ever seen, at 30fps though. MP is 45-60 though. Overall, it's an average fps, nothing really sticks out to me as being special unfortunately, except for the visuals. 7/10

Tomb Raider: visually amazing. 1080p/60fps. Game makes you feel like "I'm there". However, WAYYY too much focus on mindless killing. The first time it happens, you want to take some revenge because of what Happens to the main chwrqcter, but after a while it just becomes a joke as the body count just goes beyond Rambo levels of silliness. The platforming puzzle solving and general exploration elements are so good, why make the focus on killing people? Overall this is still highly recommended and coming from someone who isn't really into this type of game typically. 8.5/10

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes. An awesome 1.5 hour game. Seriously that's all you get. There's added content but for the most part this is a glorified demo. But an awesome demo none the less. 8/10

Pinball Arcade. Best game on the system! Where's the rest of the tables and a patch! 9.5/10

Resogun: it's free with PlayStation Live, and it's awesome. 9/10

Battlefield: ehh. Don't like the single player at all. Graphics are amazing and it's 60fps, but 900P means jaggies at a distance. I don't know how on earth Xbox one players can settle for 720P. It's far less jaggies and better distance shooting, which this game has a ton of, but still noticeably not 1080P. Graphics aside, I never liked military shooters, I'm a Halo guy, and I thought maybe I'll give Battlefield and Killzone a try but, yeah , I pretty much hate them both. It's not a bad game but, just not for me. I'll continue waiting for Destiny and in the meantime pick up Titanfall on my 360 and play that version until either Titanfall 2 comes out, or a SteamBox that can run the game at 1080P/60 is released. 7.5/10

I'm really looking forward to Final Fantasy XIV, Deep Down, Destiny, and Lilly Bergamo. Those are the titles I bought the system for (and pinball arcade). Honestly I wish I could get my money back for Killzone, battlefield, and even Tomb Raider is not really a keeper , these games just aren't my speed, but I tried them because I figured new system what the hell. I wish I could use the money to get some 360 games I missed out on, like Metal Gear Rising, Re:revaluations, and Sudas last few games. Oh well.

Feb 19, 2014
Our local YMCA has a game room, and I'm thinking of "donating" my gamer card to them and just starting a new one. In essence id be donating Tomb Raider, Battlefield, Killzone, Metal Gear, Pinball Arcade, etc. But I'm thinking, are those games really appropriate for children? So maybe I'll just go in there with 40$ in ps cash and get them pinball arcade, because that IS totally kid appropriate.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I caved and got PS+ since I was interested in Mercenary Kings and Resogun and they're both free with Plus at the moment. Just played a very tiny bit of each. Mercenary Kings seems promising, although there are a few curious decisions, like your character always pauses either before or after (okay I forget now : p) jumping. Also the load times are a tad longer than I'd have thought they'd be. The art is definitely great. Resogun is pretty but I have to figure out how to find the aliens before they kill my little green men, Defender-style; they're *constantly* warping in somewhere in the level and killing the little guys, and so I'm always left frantically zipping around trying to find them (and usually getting remotely notified that the little men are dead already before I even found them). Frustrating! Maybe I'll just try ignoring that part of it. Rescuing, bah--I just wanna shoot stuff. Seriously, I do not like being jerked around to rescue the little dudes constantly. I didn't like that in Defender, either. : PP It's a shame they put it in at all because by itself the shooting part is pretty fun.

Members online

Members online