What's your favourite table you know will never come to TPA?

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
"South Park" is one of the easiest tables ever made. I find no joy whatsoever when playing it, but at least the wife likes playing it.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
South Park, however, is beginner-friendly and is very good at drawing in people passing by because of the theme, especially now that the controversy over its content has died down (despite Trey Parker's repeated attempts to provoke the prudes).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I find the South Park table to be terribly repetitive and ultimately boring. It's fun for the audio clips your first few quarters, but then even that starts to wear. I think in TPA, it'd become one of those tables you can play as a marathon real quickly.

I love and still actively watch South Park, so it's not like I'm down on the license. Stern needs to whip up a new table, much like what was done for the Simpsons. TSPP is so much an improvement over Data East's, and captures the show as opposed to being something thrown together with lazy audio grabs. A South Park table should be smart and poke fun at its target, not just be gross out jokes.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
The South Park machine was made between Seasons 1 and 2, before the show really did much social commentary or exhibit much of the intelligence that pervades the show today. Season 1 really WAS just mostly surrealism and gross-out humor. It wasn't until the Season 3 premiere, "Rainforest Schmainforest," where the show really started hitting its stride, as it was the first one set up in the now-usual South Park fashion with its political themes and tongue-in-cheek moral message (at least in my opinion; there's a small but vocal group of South Park fans who consider the show to have gone downhill for this reason).

Data East's The Simpsons, from what I can observe on the machine itself, also references things exclusive to Season 1. If the weird, off-model illustrations aren't a giveaway, the "Triple Chocolate" reference would be, as this is obscure even for The Simpsons, and there are far better things to reference from the show to indicate three of something even as early as Season 2--namely the three-eyed fish that's much better known. The Simpsons Pinball Party could draw upon 14 seasons' worth of the show, in contrast, and by then it was clear who and what are iconic in the series, and plenty of good references could be made.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The South Park machine was made between Seasons 1 and 2, before the show really did much social commentary or exhibit much of the intelligence that pervades the show today. Season 1 really WAS just mostly surrealism and gross-out humor. It wasn't until the Season 3 premiere, "Rainforest Schmainforest," where the show really started hitting its stride, as it was the first one set up in the now-usual South Park fashion with its political themes and tongue-in-cheek moral message (at least in my opinion; there's a small but vocal group of South Park fans who consider the show to have gone downhill for this reason).

Data East's The Simpsons, from what I can observe on the machine itself, also references things exclusive to Season 1. If the weird, off-model illustrations aren't a giveaway, the "Triple Chocolate" reference would be, as this is obscure even for The Simpsons, and there are far better things to reference from the show to indicate three of something even as early as Season 2--namely the three-eyed fish that's much better known. The Simpsons Pinball Party could draw upon 14 seasons' worth of the show, in contrast, and by then it was clear who and what are iconic in the series, and plenty of good references could be made.

Which is exactly why a new South Park table should be made!

Fun fact...I worked on the live action Mr. Hanky commercial, one of my very first jobs as a camera assistant in the industry. I was paid with a signed t-shirt from Matt and Trey. Also kept the Hi-8 tape that recorded everything the camera shot, as it was left in the monitor at the end of the day. Unfortunately it doesn't have sound on it.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014

Fun fact...I worked on the live action Mr. Hanky commercial, one of my very first jobs as a camera assistant in the industry. I was paid with a signed t-shirt from Matt and Trey. Also kept the Hi-8 tape that recorded everything the camera shot, as it was left in the monitor at the end of the day. Unfortunately it doesn't have sound on it.

That sounds really, really cool.

And I would love to see a new South Park machine too. Problem is that it's risky for Stern. On the one hand, there seems to be plenty of operators who don't mind having the South Park machine up on location. On the other hand, Stern has received complaints from operators not interested in anything family-unfriendly.

Order of the Stick shows that a good South Park video game can be made though, as opposed to the terrible-quality ones that were released early on in the show's run.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014
I find the South Park table to be terribly repetitive and ultimately boring. It's fun for the audio clips your first few quarters, but then even that starts to wear. I think in TPA, it'd become one of those tables you can play as a marathon real quickly.

Bingo.

My 8 year old nephew can rock that table for a good 45 minutes... if that tells anyone anything. lol

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Uhh....that was chocolate the baby was eating.....right?

I've never laughed that much over something on TV before the commercial, or since.

N

netizen

BAAAAOOOOOOO..... (This needs to come before Farsight stops!)

Dragon!!

Yes. I don't know what it is about that game, but I have been wanting to play it since watching that video for the first time.
I know FS has said that there is little support for EMs, but this is one that needs to be digitized.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts