when will we see cabinet options?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Jup. Especially if you see what the two guys from french pinball team did with with the unit3d engine for future pinball. Freakin amazing for a hobby project! Big respect. Well, maybe it's their study project or sth. ;)
But still wow. And for free.

FS still has the better overall package with more and really authentic tables, leaderboard, challenge and - most impotant fo me - just-install-and-start-playing mode, which all of the comunity driven emulators lack. Or you could say they offer more potential for people without other stuff to do. I really liked to design and build my cabinet from scratch and also like to tweak aound with software once in a while, but I'm also ok if it just works :)

Thats the great thing about TPA (Most of the time).
If FS can pull off propper cabinet support it will make the hardcore-pinball community happy and it will definetly push sales. If someone slightly interested in pinball sees this in action he or she is hooked....

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Jup. Especially if you see what the two guys from french pinball team did with with the unit3d engine for future pinball. Freakin amazing for a hobby project! Big respect. Well, mabe it's their study project or sth. ;)
But still wow. And for free.

FS still has the better overall package with more and really authentic tables, leaderboard, challenge and - most impotant fo me - just-install-and-start-playing mode, which all of the comunity driven emulators lack. Or you could say they offer more potential for people without other stuff to do. I really liked to design and build my cabinet from scratch and also like to tweak aound with software once in a while, but I'm also ok if it just works :)

Thats the great thing about TPA (Most of the time).
If FS can pull off propper cabinet support it will make the hardcore-pinball community happy and it will definetly push sales. If someone slightly interested in pinball sees this in action he or she is hooked....

You need to remember that they (Louizou the longest but finally got some help) worked on Unity3D for over a year and a half. They didn't need to secure any licensing, they didn't have to pander to the many wants and demands of fans, they didn't need to develop the physics or graphics engine and the assets are imported from Future Pinball.

Not trying to marginalize the work they did, but comparing it to FS's workload (and they aren't a very large studio at that) really isn't very fair at all.

FS just got their cabinet in and they now have to develop cab modes just for that.

Mike has expressed dismay in the development of things like camera views and whatnot and while they do have a lot of it complete by the looks of it, they are trying to get a lot of those details right (personally I only know first-hand of Mike's dissatisfaction with views, the rest is mostly speculation). They are also working on the DX11 lighting, developing the next table and I think they are still pursuing certain hard to get licenses.

They are excited about releasing cab options, that it's a lot of work for a very small percentage of their customer base (especially for things like ledwiz and real dmd support etc) as anything more than a two monitor setup connected to a pc is going to be very very niche.

pinballlooking

Jan 14, 2013
I am excited for the Cab version. I have a real DMD and I am so glad you are supporting it.
I also have a LEDwiz and in time it would be great if that was supported hardware feedback this adds some much to making it feel like a real pinball machine.
It is good news you have the backglass working.
I think once you have this version done there will be many more cabs build. I know a bunch of people that have been waiting for you release before building a cab.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Don't get me wrong. Just wanted to show what's possible.
FS is doing an awesome job here! And even though I just know TPA since january and havent seen proof of any cabinet stuff I instantly bought every season and will do so with future installments because I think its a great product.
As I said, I like TPA because it's a professional product, just needs a little polishing.

FS must have had their reasons why to stick to their xbox360 version for pc. It just looks dated. Maybe even a switch to unity would have been a good choice, as its advantage is it runs on almost every platform, what seems to be FSs core strategy. So less effort on keeping same standard on different platforms, more time for extras like cab support.
And everybody speaking of cabs a as niche. Ferraris and Lamborghinis are also niche, but help keeping the general passion for cars alive. Just post some nice pictures and videos on the net, show the cab at the nex expo...

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I am enjoying it so far. But I need backglass and nudging real soon. I don't want to go back to VP. But throw us a bone.

Nudging is already possible, just not natively supported. Use xpadder to map whatever you are using for nudging to keyboard inputs for TPA.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Hmmmm. I am using my cabinet. I just had to set it up when I got it from Virtua Pin and it just works. I would assume that since they also acquired their cab from them that they would have a similar setup and would support it.

I already have Xpadder working for the flippers, plunger, launch button, and second set of buttons as nudge.

Maybe there is a way. If so.....

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Just add an analog stick in xpadders controler properties for the virtuapin controler responding to X and Y axis. This is the nudging sensor of your cab. You now should be able to map keys with xpadder to up down left right. If you hit your cab you should see the coresponding button flashing green in xpadder. Use the nudging keys already set in TPAs keyboard control or adjust them to your preferences.
Done.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Really surprised by the lack of progress for the PC/cab version.

Just to clarify, I have multiple jobs.

1. New table each month
2. Steam releases
3. Bug Fixing
4. Another task I can't discuss yet, but many of you will be happy with it.
5. Changing some scripted tables to emulated
6. Pinball Cabinet.

Priorities change from time to time depending on where we are in the months schedule, etc. Cabinet is the lowest priority of those because management hasn't decided how it will be sold. And we're not sure how great the demand is. But I know the demand is less than #1, #2, #3, #4, and possibly #5.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Just to clarify, I have multiple jobs.

1. New table each month
2. Steam releases
3. Bug Fixing
4. Another task I can't discuss yet, but many of you will be happy with it.
5. Changing some scripted tables to emulated
6. Pinball Cabinet.

Priorities change from time to time depending on where we are in the months schedule, etc. Cabinet is the lowest priority of those because management hasn't decided how it will be sold. And we're not sure how great the demand is. But I know the demand is less than #1, #2, #3, #4, and possibly #5.

Wow...the possibilities for 4...

DX11?
Pinball After Dark?
New Kickstarter table?
Virtual Reality?
Build physical pins for all their loyal fanbase?

I could keep coming up with more but I might start losing credibility

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Cabinet is the lowest priority of those because management hasn't decided how it will be sold.

Well...can't be sold. No real demand, just a hand full of nerds. Decision should be easy then.
I've wasted money on stupider things before. But theres still hope...

Mr 230268

Jun 12, 2013
No good news. I just bought season one, because I wait for the cab version to invest more. So VP is still the only solution.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012

I am a bit worried about management not deciding how it will be sold, because FS announced there won't be a charge for cab options, which is why myself and other proceeded to buy season passes for PC once that was announced. As many of us have bought all tables packs on multiple other platforms we were concerned about buying passes for PC, and then having to do the same again for a cab version.

If the deal was a charge to add cab option to the PC version without re buying passes then I would be happy with that even thought was announced there would be no charge. But to re-buy season passes would be ****!

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
I am a bit worried about management not deciding how it will be sold, because FS announced there won't be a charge for cab options, which is why myself and other proceeded to buy season passes for PC once that was announced. As many of us have bought all tables packs on multiple other platforms we were concerned about buying passes for PC, and then having to do the same again for a cab version.

If the deal was a charge to add cab option to the PC version without re buying passes then I would be happy with that even thought was announced there would be no charge. But to re-buy season passes would be ****!

My understanding was that they said it wouldn't be a completely separate application (as they apparently were contemplating for awhile for some reason). I'm completely fine with a one-time upcharge of some kind to enable cabinet mode for the entire application.

As for the ETA, it'd be nice if we could get any of the features that are done released. I think most people's #1 is just being able to get the DMD off the main screen. But if they are going to charge for it as an upgrade pack or something I suppose it would need to all be ready at once.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014

Again I was naive and fell for the idea that there were pinball loving idealist at work, who just integrate cab support because it is just so awesome and how it is meant to be. And as a side effect continue to make loads of money with their other platform sales.
That they got the cab this late, after years of development of a pinball sim, should have made me suspicious that there is management involved. But where would we be without them.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.