when will we see cabinet options?

Busol

Dec 19, 2013
Dear Mike,
Is there any ETA for Cabinet. I want to spent some money :) And wait till cab version is done.

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Dear Mike,
Is there any ETA for Cabinet. I want to spent some money :) And wait till cab version is done.

The game is already great on cabinets. Why not get started now and just enjoy the extra bells and whistles when they are ready?

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Because. It is only ok for cabinet right now. I am still holding off on season 1 until cabinet stuff is released also. I would have held off on season 2 but that contains Flight 2000. If that wasn't in there I would have held off on season 2 also. It is playable on a cabinet, but could be so much better with a little effort.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
See, the neat thing here is, someone is eventually going to build some sorta glorious DIY table build around TPA that'll get into ALL the gaming blogs and it'll result in lots of free advertisement for TPA and boost sales. :)

Loadedweapon

Oct 26, 2013
yea im still holding out on pc for cab support.. i have a few on the tablet but thats just not the same.. cant wait to try this in the cab with a real view and not having to mess up my monitors

Busol

Dec 19, 2013
I wait because we do not really know what does "cabinet support" means now. 2 displays or 3. Real DMD or movable (like in VP). Will I need to buy DMD for that ? Or at last - what about 3 displays performacne ? I hope it will be better than in VP with UVP cause I don't know to buy new PC :)

Duglim

Mar 17, 2014
Maybe there is a way to give us cab owners a chance to add our own backglass images to a second monitor?
I'm thinking of something like a logfile which logs the currently played table or menu. So we could read this logfile for changes and build a fan made app to show a corresponding backglass image on our second screen. Sure, there is no DMD, but it looks much more authentic with the right backglass image.

User BigBoss over at vpforum.org (http://bit.ly/1gFgVgx) did something very similar by scanning the tables folder for windows file access and using the windows security logfiles, but this solution is not able to detect menus or exit table events. It just changes the backglass image the moment a new table is started.

Maybe adding this logfile is just a matter of a few hours for the developers and they can code it without asking their SCRUM Product Owner for a global priorization of this little feature. ;)

Anyway, TPA already rocks on Cabinets, I abandoned Virtual Pinball and Future Pinball simulators for it. All this nice table things linke the global highscores, the help/guide menus, etc make it a much better and more "game" like experience, which I personally perfer. Keep up your great work, greetings from germany!

Duglim

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Such a fan made app is already somewhere on the forums here. But it's pretty basic and the back glass is static. Multi monitor support was a long time to implement in vp and there's no reason to believe it should be quicker except that it has resources dedicated to it if very few.

I have a feeling that fs wants cab mode to be pretty awesome out of the box

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
To speed up things here is my list of features and a suggestion how to sell it. Purchases apply globally to all tables and future purchases of course :)
This enables fs to release already developed features right away.
The modular approach would help the fact that there are cabs and cabs out there, ranging from cardboard+tape minimal to high end 1:1 setup.
Also cabs get upgraded from time to time (it's a hobby!), so tpa could grow with it.

1) proper views for playfield monitor in portrait mode. Scalable size of playfield (stretched or keep original aspect ratio)
$ 0.00 - should be free (at least for pro buyers). this is a basic thing. And good for the people who have no cab and just like to put their display flat on the table once in a while. They are future cab builders.

2) native digital plunger support. Plunging, nudging, ...
$ 0.99

3) real dmd via pindmd1 and pindmd2
$ 1.99

4) 2nd screen support, including movable dmd and animated backglass.
$ 2.99

5) 3rd screen support for dmd
$ 0.99 (2nd screen required)

6) sourround sound support. mechanical sounds to "rear" channels 3 - 8
$ 0.99

7) direct output, FX, for ledwiz & co
$ 3.99

I personally would go for 1, 2, 3, 6.

Last edited:

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
F all of that. Just release it for free like it was meant to be. Either that, or start a Kickstarter for it. Make it open source. Just do it.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
For once, I'm in agreement with DaPinballWizard. Let's not make TPA into one of those games that takes a run at your credit card each time you want a new feature.

nabby2020

Mar 2, 2014
I'm with these guys on the free aspect. However I would be ok with FS progressively releasing support for cabs, for example, first just the screens and then adding the advanced cab features throughout updates

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
F all of that. Just release it for free like it was meant to be. Either that, or start a Kickstarter for it. Make it open source. Just do it.

Yeah or that! :)

That was the idea in the first place before management got all undecisive about it and found other priorities...

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It was an afterthought that they never intended on doing in the first place.

They will work on it as long as it's not interfering with their business model.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I agree, thinking ahead is very rare theese days
It has nothing to do with thinking ahead. It has everything to do with cabinet owners being an exceedingly small (and yet apparently an exceedingly vocal) fraction of all TPA players.

Lots of effort to make a cabinet version + little reward in terms of additional revenue from making a cabinet version = probably not a high priority.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts