when will we see cabinet options?

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
As for the ETA, it'd be nice if we could get any of the features that are done released. I think most people's #1 is just being able to get the DMD off the main screen.

+1 (and proper views)

But if they are going to charge for it as an upgrade pack or something I suppose it would need to all be ready at once.

As I bought all 3 seasons pro pack to support it, it would be nice to just pop up in the options menue.
But cab owners are supposed have too much money anyway. How many are there? 200? 500? So extra charging us within reasonalbe amounts won't exactly get everyone a porsche at FS.

They are completely underestimating the marketing potential though. Being the first professional sim to support a cab.

Let's see if pro pinball is faster.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Let's see if pro pinball is faster.
Pro Pinball is still working on their first table (an extremely beautiful table, yes, but there's still only one.) Meanwhile, FarSight is working on their 44th.

Regardless of if Pro Pinball gets cabinet support faster, you'll be able to play so many more tables on TPA that there really is no comparison.

And VP has had cabinet support for years...including some professional-grade recreations of real tables. So FarSight's not going to be first in this arena anyway.

As far as why cabinet support was not a priority, it's an extremely niche market. I'm sure they'd have loved to have done a cabinet version much earlier, but they have to bring home enough bacon to keep the studio doors open first.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
As far as why cabinet support was not a priority, it's an extremely niche market. I'm sure they'd have loved to have done a cabinet version much earlier, but they have to bring home enough bacon to keep the studio doors open first.

I think most of us understand that it's not the highest priority and they have a lot on their plate. It's just hard to be patient for something you want really badly.

I got all excited when they demoed the cab at the Chicago Pinball Expo in October and already had the real DMD working, despite not even having had it back to their office yet. But it's been 4 months since then and it seems it's still a back burner project that gets worked on here and there between other things.

The marketing potential, as mentioned, is definitely a benefit beyond just satisfying people who own cabinets. I remember how many people commented on Facebook when they posted pics. Most people don't even know something like that is possible and it just spreads general pinball enthusiasm. I've read numerous comments about people who want to build their own pincab or mini-pincab after TPA supports it, as well. Having a legal, plug-and-play software solution could grow the whole pincab hobby/community far easier than something like VP.

I'll continue to (try to) wait patiently. Let's focus on the positive...at least the game is out on PC and has a workable portrait mode! Remember Steam Greenlight? :p

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
So when does a Kickstarter start for cab? I too thought they would do it "for the love of it". I thought they were pinball fans? If they have to charge more so be it. They were talking cab more than a year ago. Make it open source, it will be done in a week or two.
At least there will be pro pinball. It may only be one table but at least it should have all the bells and whistles.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
Just to clarify, I have multiple jobs.

1. New table each month
2. Steam releases
3. Bug Fixing
4. Another task I can't discuss yet, but many of you will be happy with it.
5. Changing some scripted tables to emulated
6. Pinball Cabinet.

Priorities change from time to time depending on where we are in the months schedule, etc. Cabinet is the lowest priority of those because management hasn't decided how it will be sold. And we're not sure how great the demand is. But I know the demand is less than #1, #2, #3, #4, and possibly #5.

So your facebook guy knows something management doesn't? http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/6787-Farsight-not-charging-extra-for-cabinet-version

Last edited:

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
Meanwhile
http://unit3dpinball.net/

Aside of the great looks, the ability to adjust the table / backglas to the screen brings tears to my eyes:
http://youtu.be/JpdOilfr1DA

EDIT: I still believe TPA looks better on PS4 (dx11 please) and has better physics.

First saw Unit3dpinball yesterday; all that customizability is almost like a wet dream. You can even adjust the ball and flipper physics, amongst other things. I think it looks like the texture resolution is higher, as well as having better (and customizable) lighting than even the PS4 version of TPA, but the ball physics definitely need tweaking. Their physics engine is not locked at 60 fps though, so there are serious opportunities. It already has 3-screen support as well.

I've bought everything TPA has to offer (pro versions to boot), and continue to enjoy it, but I'm still waiting for a proper PC pinball platform (preferably a legal one :p). I'm glad they've at least added portrait mode (I bought a new monitor just because of that); I'd love at least two-screen support for a combined dmd / backglass on a second monitor, but looks like it won't happen anytime soon. I really, really hope the DX11 patch is around the corner though...

Last edited:

nabby2020

Mar 2, 2014
Just to weigh my 2 cents, can't wait for cab mode. DX11 is important but I really just want cab support with 3 screens (I don't have a real DMD in my cab). Still waiting to buy the seasons until I can properly play it in my cab. They should at least throw us a bone and make one monitor the head screen, can't be too hard just for that...

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
Just to weigh my 2 cents, can't wait for cab mode. DX11 is important but I really just want cab support with 3 screens (I don't have a real DMD in my cab). Still waiting to buy the seasons until I can properly play it in my cab. They should at least throw us a bone and make one monitor the head screen, can't be too hard just for that...

After seeing the Unit3d engine and how much difference those lighting effects make, I'd rather have DX11 support first. Seeing as this also affects the PS4 version (for seasons 2 & 3 in the future), it'll probably come first. I hope they'll add 2-monitor support after that though, with the possibility of 3 later down the line.

nabby2020

Mar 2, 2014
After seeing the Unit3d engine and how much difference those lighting effects make, I'd rather have DX11 support first. Seeing as this also affects the PS4 version (for seasons 2 & 3 in the future), it'll probably come first. I hope they'll add 2-monitor support after that though, with the possibility of 3 later down the line.

I can see that. I have yet to put u3d in my cab but hear great things about it. I'm really hoping we start seeing additions like bam to both TBA and ud3, that'd make the cab. FS could lose a lot of business if ud3 takes off and beats them

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
1. New table each month
2. Steam releases
just wonder why 1st and 2nd are different (because here no any other some kind of "special for steam" releases other than new table per month)..and if they are then why IOS, PS3, Droid and so on are not?
4th is obviously that amazing new game about ball with eyes which screens we saw at christmas. XD

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I have 2 screens semi working. It wasn't a trivial task. There is still more work that needs to be done.

#1 is getting tables playing on all platforms
#2 is dealing with steam release, which requires make special steam builds, putting them on steam client. Fixing PC related bugs, etc.
#4 is Pinball related. I'm not involved with Orbals

The DX11/Lighting stuff isn't me, so it doesn't affect my schedule.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
I have 2 screens semi working. It wasn't a trivial task. There is still more work that needs to be done.

#1 is getting tables playing on all platforms
#2 is dealing with steam release, which requires make special steam builds, putting them on steam client. Fixing PC related bugs, etc.
#4 is Pinball related. I'm not involved with Orbals

The DX11/Lighting stuff isn't me, so it doesn't affect my schedule.

Mike,

Will the 2 screen setup support both landscape and portrait mode for the back glass monitor? I used an old EM cabinet for my build (Williams Big Ben) and I was able to mount a 28" 16:10 monitor running in portrait mode, which fills the back box nicely. I know quite a few DIY people that went this route because of the cost effectiveness.

Thanks for the hard work!

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Mike,

Will the 2 screen setup support both landscape and portrait mode for the back glass monitor? I used an old EM cabinet for my build (Williams Big Ben) and I was able to mount a 28" 16:10 monitor running in portrait mode, which fills the back box nicely. I know quite a few DIY people that went this route because of the cost effectiveness.

Thanks for the hard work!

Haven't tried that, but I'll keep it in mind.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.