Beta 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Love how there's more space under flippers on flight 2000 (portait mode) makes it easier to play my thumbs arnt in the way!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
i purged the re-built files for a new build I am about to give you =)

Ryan, is the Welcome card when you start the game up known to be displaying the last table pack info?

4ehybuvy.jpg

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
http://androidfiles.pinballarcade.com/beta/AndroidPinballActivity_16b_aligned.apk

I still need to take a look at the pro mode coin door issue and the crash, but here are the fixes for today:

-Took hud update off backglass on Flight2000 like other tables with the old style lcd (pixel uploads per frame are expensive).
-Fixed F2000 freeplay issue.
-fixed F2000 leaderboard issue.
-setup for going nuts no longer has ball number as an option as it is not applicable.

Also, more importantly, I spent the day today profiling the code and made several tweaks. Turns out that the GPU thread was stalling at random intervals. I knocked up the Game thread's priority a few notches since it is the one driving the GPU' thread's draw list loop execution. The game thread wasn't running on a steady enough cycle at times. I think this was an optimization we made a year ago for single core devices. Would be interested to see how this helps things.

Also adjusted the code that hands off the next draw list at an end of a frame so that it sleeps until the gpu thread is ready (no longer drawing the last frame), before it was just discarding the frame and carrying on which might have given some devices a display lag (an optimization I made for the original kindle fire, might have to special case that one...). This should steady it.

Annnd found some memory optimizations in my Draw list class itself, removing unnecessary memory copies.

Way too much info for most i'm sure but a few of you may be interested =)

I profiled all of this on the Nexus 10, my problem child (they really should have upgraded the gpu with a screen that bloody big...) and it appears to have smoothed out some of the jumps in frame rate. Give her a go and let me know if you see worse, no change, or better. They were slight changes so I doubt any of you will see tremendous improvements, but ya never know.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I think the file must still be syncing. I get a download error at the moment.

Great work on the performance work Ryan. Sounds like those tweaks will make a big difference moving forward.

Should we delete any tables and reload the res files?

Last edited:

mpclemens

Jun 26, 2013
Verified the free play fix on flight 2000: it's a cool table after all. :)

Last edited:

Drawken

Oct 2, 2012
Attempting to start Attack from Mars crashes the app. I deleted and redownloaded the res file, and even went as far as uninstalling and reinstalling the app. It still crashes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
TABLE: FLT2K

O/S: ANDROID 4.04

DEVICE: TOSHIBA THRIVE

PROBLEM: FLT2K LEADER BOARD (A NETWORK ERROR OCCURRED WHILST PROCESSING LEADER BOARDS)

DESCRIPTION: This only happens upon completing a game and then checking the leader boards from the table menu. If you check the leader board before playing, all is well. If you check the leader board a 2nd time after getting the error, but before completing another game, all is well. It only happens on the first check of the leader board right after completing a game -- happens each time.

REPEATABLE: 100% *

- REMOVED TABLES AND RE-DOWNLOADED: NO CHANGE
- FORCE STOPPED TPA AND RELAUNCHED: NO CHANGE

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Play a complete game of FLT2K. When game completes and you are returned to the game menu: select LEADER BOARDS: Network error. Checking a 2nd time loads the boards. Happens every time on the first check after a completed game of FLT2K

Thanks.

Last edited:

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
Attempting to start Attack from Mars crashes the app. I deleted and redownloaded the res file, and even went as far as uninstalling and reinstalling the app. It still crashes.

Same here.

TABLE: AFM

O/S:ANDROID 4.04

DEVICE: TOSHIBA THRIVE (10.1") TEGRA (2)

PROBLEM: AFM CRASHES ON LAUNCH

REPEATABLE: 100%

STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Launch Attack From Mars: Voice over states 'Return to battle soldie(r)" but seems to cut off before the "r" is fully enunciated, then TPA force closes unexpectedly.

NOTE: I was able to launch all other tables in season 1 and season 2 + the beta tables. AFM seems to be the only one with this issue.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Indy99

May 24, 2013
Ryan, sounds like a great update! I love this kind of detail. Thanks for all you do, even on a Saturday.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds like the rez file needs to be version bumped. I am out of the office but can probably do it tomorrow. For now just revert to the previous beta if you want to play afm. Anyone seeing any difference in frame rate stability wise?

N

netizen

Yes, Flight 2000 is much better.

Now if I wouldn't tilt it so often ... :)

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
The optimizations have improved the framerate on my Galaxy S4 to 99.9% that of my iPad 4...even with background services running on my phone. I'm very happy with how smooth TPA runs now. Thanks Ryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts