controller / keyboard / etc Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
I use sixaxis on my note 2 and I have right stick as plunger/up nudge, l/r 1 as flippers, l/r 2 as l/r nudge, square & circle up at the top for magnasave in BK...also catches the launch trigger for STTNG. Then triangle for camera and start for pause and I have no issue what so ever.

Outputting through an MHL adapter to my 75" samsung led tv...everything works like a charm.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Timmy - The "pause" is because TPA seems to accidentally (not by design) have this input mapped to some of the controller buttons which get activated when 'recognise as a native controller' option is switched on in Sixaxis app.
It's not a problem when a touch profile is activated that uses the same button - the touch profile has priority.

Here's my TPA mapping profile - for use with 'Touch Scheme - Type A'
eryqu4yq.jpg

Notice you can put more than one instance of a button down, I use the cross in multiple places to continue and to press start.
Square, circle - are for magnasave, sttng trigger, troll bomb...
Triggers l2 r2 are horizontal nudge
D-pad does left, up, right nudge.
Flippers are on shoulder buttons l1 r1.
Plunger on right analogue stick (which has to be re-sized to work effectively.
Good luck!

N

netizen

Seeing as iOS has the iCade would Android get something like the Moga API integrated?

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Seeing as iOS has the iCade would Android get something like the Moga API integrated?

I'm posting again to bring this up to the fore-front for a bit. Any idea when any kind of un-rooted controller support will come to us Android users?

Andrew Sully

Oct 2, 2012
i have a wired xbox360 controller for my 10.1 pad and modded 4 buttons onto a 3d printed unit to make it look like a real minipin. even has the backdrop to allow printed and laminted backglass. i have 2 buttons front and 3 either side. use another simalar setup modded controller fr my laptop but only 4 buttons either side a 3d printed vice like setup.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
i have a wired xbox360 controller for my 10.1 pad and modded 4 buttons onto a 3d printed unit to make it look like a real minipin. even has the backdrop to allow printed and laminted backglass. i have 2 buttons front and 3 either side. use another simalar setup modded controller fr my laptop but only 4 buttons either side a 3d printed vice like setup.

Pics or it didn't happen, @Andrew Sully. ;-)

CrazyCoder

Apr 26, 2012
Got NVIDIA Shield recently, TPA runs great on it, much better graphics and performance than on PS Vita, had to use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tincore.and.keymapper to map buttons to touch screen.

Note that you have to use beta version as the release one will not work on Shield, also make sure to enable Swap Scales option, otherwise mappings will not work.

Otherwise, it's great, analog plunger with the right stick, nudge with the left stick, flippers with the shoulder buttons.

Looking forward for the native controller support, including the Shield controls: https://developer.nvidia.com/develop4shield .

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
I'm posting again to bring this up to the fore-front for a bit. Any idea when any kind of un-rooted controller support will come to us Android users?

I've come to believe that that native controller support is not going to happen for Android. I got so excited at the end of June when the controller beta came out. Now I realize that everyone is very busy on projects that will make money for FarSight and I understand that. If controller support does happen for Android then I will be happy.

I wish my 10" tablet was about a 1-1/2 pounds lighter. It gets heavy in my hand after a couple of games of TPA.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I've come to believe that that native controller support is not going to happen for Android. I got so excited at the end of June when the controller beta came out. Now I realize that everyone is very busy on projects that will make money for FarSight and I understand that. If controller support does happen for Android then I will be happy.

I wish my 10" tablet was about a 1-1/2 pounds lighter. It gets heavy in my hand after a couple of games of TPA.

I think it definitely will happen Frank, especially after the controller test apk. It's just not known when. Ryan did post recently he had some time coming up (but didn't specify for what). Keep your fingers crossed though.

You could still download the controller test apk from its original thread, but it obviously wouldn't have tables further than Champion Pub, and only has the flippers mappable.
Download at the bottom of Ryans post here...
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...-keyboard-etc-Support/page2?p=83772#post83772

Have you tried playing with the tablet flat on your legs or a tray or table, with your hands resting on?
Might lighten the load if you're struggling.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

I usually balance the TF300T tablet on the edge of the table, about two thirds the way up the tablet. This takes all the weight off your wrists.

You do tend to get a crick in your neck if you play for too long, but that is just your body telling you to stop flipping and have a break..

Day

Jan 9, 2013

Hi Frank, I'd also recommend sitting at and leaning the tablet against a table; only as an additional improvement suggestion, you could try resting the tablet not against the edge of the table but on top of something of a soft & malleable material placed on the table, like a small beanbag or similar. Usually works quite fine for me during extended sessions & until things start getting frantic when the support starts sliding out from under the tablet.

I wish also for full controller support as i also wish for refinements to the touch nudge/shake zones, including one variant with no nudge zone below the flippers .... i'm "happiest" using A B & F, but keep getting accidental collisions.... and if i expressly try to press the same spot again to nudge, it's in the undefined zone and has no effect whatsoever. somewhat irritating so i'd also be happy to move to a fully implemented controller solution

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Thanks Baron, jaredmorgs and Day for your suggestions. I have given most of the things suggested a try and will try them again with different items. The main problem is trying to find the correct things to balance the tablet I am using and the recliner I usually sit in to play TPA. I never thought of using something that is soft and malleable to rest the table on in my lap. That sounds like a good solution to the problem.

I do hope we get some controller support. The one thing that has me doubting that we get controller support is that the Android Zen Pinball app used to support the moga controller and it seems like Zen has done away with this. It used to be in Zen's Android description and it doesn't mention that now, my controller doesn't work on Zen anymore and if I search for Moga based games in Google Play, Zen does not come up in the search like it used to. If I am right, then I think it's because Zen has been added to Steam and to Windows 8 and they want those who want controller support to use these apps because of more income than having controller support for Android. I might be blowing smoke, but it's my opinion.

Sometimes with TPA I feel like I'm in episode 86 of South Park "The Simpsons Already Did It". All the things I want on TPA I keep finding that Zen has already did it. I know it's because Microsoft is backing Zen Studios.

At least the Windows 8 version of Pinball FX2 runs well on my integrated intel 4000 graphics chipset where some people in the PC forum can't get Pinball FX to work on Steam with the same chipset. It's too bad I don't like Zen pinball.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Frank - I got myself a Moga Pro recently and Zen is still definitely supported and working still.
It's a mode B game. Just tested it to be sure.
Sounds like you might need to re-pair your controller to your tablet after a software update.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Frank - I got myself a Moga Pro recently and Zen is still definitely supported and working still.
It's a mode B game. Just tested it to be sure.
Sounds like you might need to re-pair your controller to your tablet after a software update.

I knew that it was "B" mode game; however, I never thought about re-pairing the controller to the tablet after an update. I did get a software update for Moga Pro. Thanks for the help Baron Rubik and I'll give it a try. This info now gives me a lot of hope for controller support for TPA on Android.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
never thought about re-pairing the controller to the tablet after an update. I did get a software update for Moga Pro.

The sync for modes A & B are handled in different ways by the device, and I had to re-sync the B connection about 4wks ago after an update.

To do this... Press options (gear like symbol at top right of running 'Moga pivot' app, then pick 'Add/manage controllers'
equtadev.jpg

Next you will see the screen shown below,
zu3yjytu.jpg

Press the highlighted 'unsync B' button, and it will change to say 'sync' next to B.
Press the newly changed 'sync' button next to B and just follow the on screen instructions with the controller.
This will only need to be done the once, unless another update requires it again.
Mode A can be done the same if that ever plays up.

Give us a shout if you need any help.

Last edited:

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
You are a gentlemen and a scholar Baron Rubik, thanks again. My Moga Pro controller works fine now. I played one game of Zen and it played fine. Zen is not my cup of tea but it was nice to use the controller for a pinball simulation. I just wished I liked Zen more than I do. One game and I'm fine for a month, even with controller control. I hate to think of being a snob of any kind, but I guess I am concerning pinball.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
I just recently used GameKeyboard for the first time to map touch events to my Moga Pro. Very easy setup, and it works, albeit there is a noticable lag. I had tried using usb/joystick center but the setup is complicated and it is not reliable with the Moga Pro.

Munky

Apr 28, 2013
I tried that but could not for the life of me figure out how to set it up with the Moga Pro.

Is there any lag when using it with the Moga Pro on TPA? If you've used it would you mind givong me some how-to specific to the Moga Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts