Enhanced version of the Star Trek: The Next Generation table on PS4 to be shown at E3

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I agree about PC but keep in mind, the community will mod the crap out of the game regardless of what Farsighted does or does not do.

For all intents and purposes it'll be the best version no matter what.

My bigger question right now is will Farsight take the care to do all the PS4 tables with the same quality and new lighting as Star Trek? It'll be close to 40 tables that they will have to make pretty by PS4 launch....

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I agree about PC but keep in mind, the community will mod the crap out of the game regardless of what Farsighted does or does not do.

For all intents and purposes it'll be the best version no matter what.

My bigger question right now is will Farsight take the care to do all the PS4 tables with the same quality and new lighting as Star Trek? It'll be close to 40 tables that they will have to make pretty by PS4 launch....

They will probably only have a few tables ready for launch, and then spread the DLC out just like they're currently doing on PS3 (except hopefully with a smoother method of updating DLC).

As for PC mods, it really depends on the file structure. Some games are definitely easier to mod than others.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I don't see much need for modding if they do it right. I don't expect everything from the start but I would expect them to put out a great product after initial tweaking. They are pinball fans themselves and I am sure this will be their preferred choice in the future.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
I won't be able to attend, but those PS3 owners that do, make sure to ask Sony how they intend to fix the problem with DLC that cannot be updated. I'm sure ST:TNG will look awesome, but if a flaw is detected it will need to be fixable on a downloads-based platform. Once you tricked them into saying that it's going to be alright, THEN ask them how they intend to fix the PS3 platform :)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm hoping the PC version is out soon. If the new consoles are as intrusive to our privacy as they look like (mandatory camera/mic setups in my livingroom? Hell no!) PC will be my only option for gaming from here on out. But it looks like i'm just another generation closer to abandoning my oldest hobby.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I'm hoping the PC version is out soon. If the new consoles are as intrusive to our privacy as they look like (mandatory camera/mic setups in my livingroom? Hell no!) PC will be my only option for gaming from here on out. But it looks like i'm just another generation closer to abandoning my oldest hobby.

Don't group the PS4 in with Microsoft's invasion of privacy stuff.
They won't require you to leave a mic and camera turned on at all times!

Hell, Sony even changed so you don't need a credit card to make instant purchases from PSN anymore. You can now buy with Paypal.

As far as the PS4 being outdated right away. It's really not the case. Quite the opposite really.
With all PS4 players restricted to the same hardware the developers will continue to get the most out of it instead of asking you to
continue to upgrade your gaming rig every so often. This type of optimization of code continues years into the console's life as well.

Just compare games like inFAMOUS 1 to inFAMOUS 2, or LBP1 to LBP2, Uncharted 1 to The Last of Us.
They are really pushing the PS3 now, and in most cases, it's far superior to what we were seeing & playing in 2006.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Don't group the PS4 in with Microsoft's invasion of privacy stuff.
They won't require you to leave a mic and camera turned on at all times!

Hell, Sony even changed so you don't need a credit card to make instant purchases from PSN anymore. You can now buy with Paypal.

As far as the PS4 being outdated right away. It's really not the case. Quite the opposite really.
With all PS4 players restricted to the same hardware the developers will continue to get the most out of it instead of asking you to
continue to upgrade your gaming rig every so often. This type of optimization of code continues years into the console's life as well.

Just compare games like inFAMOUS 1 to inFAMOUS 2, or LBP1 to LBP2, Uncharted 1 to The Last of Us.
They are really pushing the PS3 now, and in most cases, it's far superior to what we were seeing & playing in 2006.

If that is the case then I may just defect. Sony lost me after the PS1. Sure it had games but the hardware was not all that great. I found the PS2 to be an overhyped POS. They earned my respect again with the PS3. My having a 360 was more fluke than anything (bought my brothers with 14 games for 200$ and it red-ringed on me).

The no used thing only bothers me a bit, but if the price of games comes down because of it then I'm not too worried. I never sell games but I do buy a lot of used ones, so I'll probably miss a lot of games due to the fact that I don't want to pay full price for a 2 or 3 year old game.

I had some looks at the controller and it looks like they have almost addressed my isues with it. I'm just hoping that the analog sticks have a bit more resistance to them. Though I do wish they would swap the placement of the D-Pad and the left analog stick as well since most games are played with analog and it's just a more comfortable position for it. I'm not really trying to pay lip service to the XBOX controller here, but the Dreamcast, which the XBOX pretty well copied, plus bumpers and the second stick.

I am more than impressed with the hardware. God, I really can't stand people who think they are analysts generation after generation after generation talking about "weak" hardware in consoles and how they are "outdated" before they come out. Yeah, MS and Sony know nothing about hardware design apparently, god...the original XBOX ran on a 733MHz Celeron basically and did pretty amazing things....or the GameCube which pumped out even more amazing visuals with "weak" hardware. I understand fully how optimization and hardware consistency and the lack of the need to do just about everything under the sun.

All told, and I'm not shooting for popular opinion here (as usual) but Nintendo is the last TRUE gaming company. In my eyes, Sony has gone from the evil "want it all" company to a true blue gaming company as well and they really do seem to side with the gamer more than MS, who almost...almost went the right way and then went all evil corporationy on us.

I think we should all get XBOX One and then all play games in the nude at all times. Unless we're super hot, then we wear parkas....only the ugly ones play nude.

I know I've descended into a rant here, but game talk tends to do that to me.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012

I'm not into PC gaming much, but I'll be defecting to PS4 from Xbox due to these privacy concerns. My TV is at the foot of my bed and I don't want my console analysing my sleeping patterns, sex life, etc..

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah the last thing I need is my console telling me "damn, she's hot, you should stop playing me now" and powering down when I'm about to start battle for the kingdom

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.