iOS iCade Support? (Bitty)

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Jeff, there is absolutely no reason to lie to be "older" at my point in life, bro!

Catch you later.

Timelord ...

PS I changed "on the rebound" to later because my wife informed me it no longer had the original "basketball" meaning it had in my youth!

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
So, there's an iOS beta with iCade functionality that we've been testing, and I freakin' LOVE it. I can actually nudge now! I was in favor of using the stick for nudging before I played the beta, but now I think that would be a mistake. The nudge buttons are right beside the flipper buttons so it's easy to quickly nudge the ball then flip it. If you don't already have an iCade (I have the core), I think you'll be buying one soon.

iPad + iCade = awesome

Great! I just ordered a core from Amazon for $34.67.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff, there is absolutely no reason to lie to be "older" at my point in life, bro!

Catch you later.

Timelord ...

PS I changed "on the rebound" to later because my wife informed me it no longer had the original "basketball" meaning it had in my youth!

Good call! X 2 actually.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I purchased an iCade Core last week to be ready for Pinball Arcade's support of it. I also ordered four high quality arcade buttons and installed them on the sides of the iCade. I wired the new buttons into the existing buttons and they will be used for left flipper/nudge and right flipper/nudge. The modification came out great.

I also added an on/off switch on the back on the unit because the iCade doesn't come with a power switch (turns off on it's own after a period of inactivity). Since the iCade is essentially a bluetooth keyboard in order to enter keyboard mode for text entry you have to go into settings and turn bluetooth off; so with my new power switch all I need to do is flip the switch to enter keyboard mode immediately without having to go into settings.

Also, now that I've taken it apart and seen the insides of the iCade Core I can say that it would be pretty easy to construct an iPad mini-cabinet using the iCade circuit board and buttons/wiring if you are inclined to go that route.

Here are a couple of pics showing the new flipper/nudge buttons and the power switch. The white buttons are flipper and black are nudge.

e040dcc3-eed4-4ec8-83e7-92f24426d9fd.jpg

4db74970-4e85-44b3-8e11-c7ea6081b454.jpg

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I wanted to jailbreak one of my iPads to use Blutrol but I'm on 6.1.3 and there's no jailbreak for it. But I have an old iPhone 4 here which hasn't been updated lately so I was able to jailbreak it and I've been playing with it and the iCade with Blutrol. Definitely feels kind of weird using the iCade Core with an iPhone! Just temporary until Pinball Arcade releases the update.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
That's exactly the design I was going to use. I'm just waiting for the official release. You never know what FarSight will decide between the beta and now.

BTW Sotie, I really like your on/off switch idea. Where'd you get that switch? Or, what should I call it when I google?

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
That's exactly the design I was going to use. I'm just waiting for the official release. You never know what FarSight will decide between the beta and now.

BTW Sotie, I really like your on/off switch idea. Where'd you get that switch? Or, what should I call it when I google?

I asked someone what the current button mapping is but even if it changes I can easily open it up and switch the wiring. It only takes a few minutes. I just connected the wiring for my new buttons to the connectors for the original buttons. Also, all the original buttons still work.

I got the on/off switch at my local Radio Shack. I think they just call it a power switch. There were a couple of different styles available. I also saw some at Fry's Electronics but they looked more like automotive switches.

By the way, my iCade had two torx T8 security screws so I had to also pick up a set of torx security bits ($5) to remove them. To create the large circular holes for the buttons I used a 1-inch spade drill bit and then used a dremel to carefully increase the size of the hole until the button perfectly fit inside it. The buttons I purchased are 30mm Sanwa buttons (OBSFS-30).

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I've already swapped out the main buttons with Gold Leaf buttons from Arcade Emulators on eBay. They require much less pressure to activate and make hardly any noise at all. The original buttons were too clicky and required so much pressure, I was actually getting tired.

Looks like I'm headin' to the Shack. Thanks for the info sotie.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I purchased an iCade Core last week to be ready for Pinball Arcade's support of it. I also ordered four high quality arcade buttons and installed them on the sides of the iCade. I wired the new buttons into the existing buttons and they will be used for left flipper/nudge and right flipper/nudge. The modification came out great.

I also added an on/off switch on the back on the unit because the iCade doesn't come with a power switch (turns off on it's own after a period of inactivity). Since the iCade is essentially a bluetooth keyboard in order to enter keyboard mode for text entry you have to go into settings and turn bluetooth off; so with my new power switch all I need to do is flip the switch to enter keyboard mode immediately without having to go into settings.

Also, now that I've taken it apart and seen the insides of the iCade Core I can say that it would be pretty easy to construct an iPad mini-cabinet using the iCade circuit board and buttons/wiring if you are inclined to go that route.

Here are a couple of pics showing the new flipper/nudge buttons and the power switch. The white buttons are flipper and black are nudge.

e040dcc3-eed4-4ec8-83e7-92f24426d9fd.jpg

4db74970-4e85-44b3-8e11-c7ea6081b454.jpg
What shape/depth/dimensions are those? And what did you use to cut out the holes?

That's basically what I wanted to do with my own iCade Core, but I couldn't recall seeing room for buttons where you placed them... actually, just had a look, and I think I was looking at placing the buttons closer to the front. Never thought of pushing them back a little further! Nice work :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts