PS3 Pinball Arcade in 3D

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Wow, this is just SO damn good. It is like playing it again for the first time. It is like you are there. Can't wait for the PS4 version. I already have a cab but if I have to do some updates for something like this, done. Great work!! Now I am going to have to buy FishTales at the very least. Was holding off on PS3 season 3 since cab was the way to play, but this is just too damn good.

LeRoy3rd

May 18, 2013
The ps3 isn't capable of sending a 60fps signal in 3d... Likely, you're either running 720p, or your tv is interpolating frames to reduce flicker from your shutter glasses.

" The PS3 sends a 3D signal of maximal definition and frequency in Full-HD 1080p / 24Hz 1080p24 for each eye. It is your television that will, according to its capacities, insert frames between the images of the video signal emitted by the PS3 so as to reconstitute on the screen a video of 1080p / 60Hz, that have 60 images / second for each eye (on 3D active TV, 30 images are sent to the left eye and 30 images to the right eye)."

http://computer-and-gadgets.net/does-the-ps3-read-3d-blu-rays/

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The ps3 isn't capable of sending a 60fps signal in 3d... Likely, you're either running 720p, or your tv is interpolating frames to reduce flicker from your shutter glasses.

" The PS3 sends a 3D signal of maximal definition and frequency in Full-HD 1080p / 24Hz 1080p24 for each eye. It is your television that will, according to its capacities, insert frames between the images of the video signal emitted by the PS3 so as to reconstitute on the screen a video of 1080p / 60Hz, that have 60 images / second for each eye (on 3D active TV, 30 images are sent to the left eye and 30 images to the right eye)."

http://computer-and-gadgets.net/does-the-ps3-read-3d-blu-rays/

I didn't say it was running 1080p. It is definitely running at 720p when in 3D. I wasn't aware that the PS3 couldn't do 60fps at 720p in 3D. It might not be. I don't know for sure but that article wasn't talking about gaming limitations but rather 3D blue-ray disc limitations. A game like TPA might be able to send more video data because it's not sending a 7.1 lossless sound stream. At any rate the limitations of a 3D bd movie disc are going to be completely different from a game that resides on the hard drive.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I'm getting 60fps in 3D in TPA on the PS3.

Does TPA even run at 60fps in 2D on the PS3?
I doesn't look like 60fps to me, at least not in 1080p mode.

There really aren't a lot of PS3 games that can achieve 60fps locks @ 1080p. I really only know of 10 games or so.
Wipeout HD, Super StarDust HD, PixelJunk games, and some 2D sidescrollers.

I would expect the PS4 version of TPA to run at 60fps/1080p just as Zen Pinball 2 on the PS4 made it to 60fps/1080p (up from 30fps according to Zen Studios).

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
This *still* isn't available on PAL/Euro/Australian PSN. What happened to the one week delay?

Not enough that Australians get jerked around with prices, but with release dates as well :/

maezun

Jul 21, 2013
Tried TPA in 3D for the first time tonite :)

Cirqus Voltaire looks awesome! It's obvious that Farsight have put a lot of effort into making the tables 3D, they all look great and play really smooth. I also found the game a fair amount easier to play in 3D as the added perception of depth made shots easier to judge. I got my highest ever score on CV on the first game I played.

Also (just to throw in my 2 cents), the maximum resolution that the PS3 can handle for games in 3D is 720p / 30fps.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

Cirqus Voltaire looks awesome! It's obvious that Farsight have put a lot of effort into making the tables 3D, they all look great and play really smooth. I also found the game a fair amount easier to play in 3D as the added perception of depth made shots easier to judge. I got my highest ever score on CV on the first game I played.

Also (just to throw in my 2 cents), the maximum resolution that the PS3 can handle for games in 3D is 720p / 30fps.

It can handle 60fps in 720p 3D. http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/ps3-is-limited-to-720p-hdmi-1-4-confirmed/

The limitation isn't the PS3 it is a limitation of HDMI 4.1. For those, like me, who were hoping to get 1080p 60fps in 3D on the PS4 it looks like we'll have to upgrade TVs to HDMI 2.0 and in my case I'd need a new receiver. At least we can use the same old cables! For me this means that I won't be doing my 3D gaming at 1080p any time soon.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
It can handle 60fps in 720p 3D. http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/ps3-is-limited-to-720p-hdmi-1-4-confirmed/

The limitation isn't the PS3 it is a limitation of HDMI 4.1. For those, like me, who were hoping to get 1080p 60fps in 3D on the PS4 it looks like we'll have to upgrade TVs to HDMI 2.0 and in my case I'd need a new receiver. At least we can use the same old cables! For me this means that I won't be doing my 3D gaming at 1080p any time soon.

Correct, Super StarDust HD runs at a steady 60fps in 3D and looks jaw dropping. Wipeout HD runs close to 60fps in 3D.

Anyway, I think Pinball Arcade would not only benefit from some AA filtering in 3D, but also in standard 2D as well. Those jaggies can be pretty noticeable on many tables.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Correct, Super StarDust HD runs at a steady 60fps in 3D and looks jaw dropping. Wipeout HD runs close to 60fps in 3D.

Anyway, I think Pinball Arcade would not only benefit from some AA filtering in 3D, but also in standard 2D as well. Those jaggies can be pretty noticeable on many tables.

The jaggies are worse with on my passive TV. I rolled my passive 3D TV into the main room yesterday and compared the difference. On my passive TV not only were the jaggies worse but the crosstalk was worse as well.

On my active TV the jaggies are much less evident and crosstalk seems to be reduced by about half.

One thing to check on your TV to help reduce jaggies is the sharpness setting. For gaming this should be off or at its lowest setting. Sharpness adds artificial back lines to edges to try to trick our eyes into seeing a sharper picture. The problem is that the sharpness setting has no AI. It doesn't know the difference between a real line and a jaggie so it accentuates them both making the jaggies worse.

I keep sharpness off all the time anyway because I don't like the look of adding the artificial artifacts to the picture, but I highly recommend turning it off for gaming.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Ultimate 3d setup would be dual 1080p projectors with 90 degree offset linear polarization (similar setup to imax 3d) on a 120" silver coated screen. Of course to the tube of 8 grand and probably only a good option for the PC, unless there is some sort of device that can separate the image from a console to different displays.

The linear polarization helps with the crosstalk and the weakest aspect is that you can't tilt your head without ruining the 3d effect. You also need a mighty dark room. One day...it will be mine...oh yes...it...will...be...mine.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The jaggies are worse with on my passive TV. I rolled my passive 3D TV into the main room yesterday and compared the difference. On my passive TV not only were the jaggies worse but the crosstalk was worse as well.

On my active TV the jaggies are much less evident and crosstalk seems to be reduced by about half.

One thing to check on your TV to help reduce jaggies is the sharpness setting. For gaming this should be off or at its lowest setting. Sharpness adds artificial back lines to edges to try to trick our eyes into seeing a sharper picture. The problem is that the sharpness setting has no AI. It doesn't know the difference between a real line and a jaggie so it accentuates them both making the jaggies worse.

I keep sharpness off all the time anyway because I don't like the look of adding the artificial artifacts to the picture, but I highly recommend turning it off for gaming.

Oh yeah, I always set sharpness to 0 on HD. My newer HD display doesn't even give the ability to adjust sharpness on an HDMI input.

The thing that bugs me the most are the jaggies that show up as white dots. These are most apparent in demo mode when the table is zooming in and out, but once you see it it's hard to unsee. I'm not sure what's causing this, but it's worse since the Super Patch.

I tried to capture it, but it's hard without a direct capture. It's a bit blurry, but you can see it.
TPA_SuperPatched_jaggies.jpg

Ultimate 3d setup would be dual 1080p projectors with 90 degree offset linear polarization (similar setup to imax 3d) on a 120" silver coated screen. Of course to the tube of 8 grand and probably only a good option for the PC, unless there is some sort of device that can separate the image from a console to different displays.

The linear polarization helps with the crosstalk and the weakest aspect is that you can't tilt your head without ruining the 3d effect. You also need a mighty dark room. One day...it will be mine...oh yes...it...will...be...mine.

Would be nice.. but if you wait a bit I think the Morpheus (or whatever they end up calling it) will be amazing.
I really hope Farsight jumps on supporting it. The devs I've talked to, who went to GDC and tried it, are totally blown away and excited to start working on games for it.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012

How did you manage it? The patch is finally released for PS3?

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012

Dude, wanna spill on how you got 3D working? Looking at your location, I'm guessing you're playing with an American account. Let us know!

maezun

Jul 21, 2013
Dude, wanna spill on how you got 3D working? Looking at your location, I'm guessing you're playing with an American account. Let us know!

I finally gave in and bought the U.S version (even though I already had all the tables!). Just got sick of all the delays and bs that seemed to be as a result of owning the EU version. Getting the new tables a bit before the rest of Europe is a bonus too. It's also interesting because at the moment I own both the EU and US versions of TPA and can compare them both directly. To be honest, I feel that the difference in the game pre and post patch is actually pretty minor (apart from the addition of 3D, which is great), so in any case I wouldn't necessarily recommend re-buying all the tables, it was probably a bit of a drastic move on my part. Guarantee the EU patch doesn't come out on Wednesday though! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts