PS4 Cirqus Voltaire Screenshot

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Another nice thing about this screenshot is that it doesn't have that slightly out of focus "lighting bloom" fuzzy look that the PS3 version does at 1080p. It's nice and sharp, like it should be!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Guys honestly what I think it's showing is that when the flashers go off it can light up that bright.

Or, they are simply showing a sample of what a daylight mode would look like in that middle spot.

In other words, it's not a real screen but rather a mockup showing what this lighting engine can do.

I think this screen is breathtaking. What really impresses me is how it sets a mood. I think the engine and effects on display here dwarf even Pro Pinballs pre rendered engine.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
On second thought. It might be a flasher casting light on that particular spot for just a brief moment. That's my guess.

That's very impressive because we have seen nothing like that in the current engine.

Regardless this and the confirmed PS4 launch date have me excited. Day One and its less than 3 months from now!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Needs more pink.

Haha.

In the case of this screen, the pink light down in the lower left actually looks good.

There is a red bulb down there. It's an exaggerated effect but you know what, it looks good keep it.

As I said in a previous thread. This Ps4 screen looks better than real life...

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
It almost looks like the top of the spot is light bleeding from the left and the bottom of it is light bleeding in from the right. I'm not familar enough with the table to know if there are light sources there.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
That screen is really pretty but it's so dark, I'm not sure it would be playable.

I don't see it being a problem; at least a few pinball arcades around here have their tables that dark in the evening and it's fine (aside maybe from when you're blinded by really bright flashers going off suddenly ; )).

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I know I've said it before, but dark arcades are the best for pinball, IMO. No glare on the glass and a better light show. You put lights above the machine and you're going to battling glare and glass reflections.

night

May 18, 2012
Wow, you PS4 players need some sunglasses for that neon-tube! :) The visuals of CV has always been one of my fav, this and FH made an excellent table pack in 2012. I hope that this quality can be brought over to the Mac version some day, now that the PC is so close..

The extra lighting on this table looks like FarSight wanted to illuminate certain parts of the playfield which would otherwise be (too) dark?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
That excess lighting on the middle of the playfield is caused by the lit inserts. Instead of placing the point light source below the plane of the table and letting it shine through the transparent insert upward, they've placed the point light right above the insert. Since the point light is omnidirectional, nearby playfield surfaces and other structures are getting brightly lit when they're not supposed to be. Hence you get the same effect from lit inserts as you do from lamps above the playfield (compare the inserts in the screenshot above with the lamps under the return guides next to the flippers and you'll see it's the exact same effect).

Only pitfall is that correctly rendering a light passing through a colored translucent surface while still maintaining the opacity and readability of any lettering on that surface is probably tricky.

EDIT: Forgot the good column...that neon looks spectacular, and hooray for pinklessness!

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
It's like on first look, you get excited. And then you see the same WTF? lighting mistakes that plague so many tables. I'm glad it's not just me, coming from a camera background, that is seeing this. I can almost forgive the spotlight in the middle, but that pink in the corner left is just so random.

Artistic license perhaps? This is why I think it's still WIP.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
EDIT: Forgot the good column...that neon looks spectacular, and hooray for pinklessness!

Not sure it does look all that spectacular. What's with the jaggy sawtooth?

What does look good is that it appears to be reflecting in the ball. Meaning no fake light reflections.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
That excess lighting on the middle of the playfield is caused by the lit inserts. Instead of placing the point light source below the plane of the table and letting it shine through the transparent insert upward, they've placed the point light right above the insert.

Oh, yeah. Dang. (And now that I re-read the thread I see that Jeff pointed that out immediately.) They really shouldn't try using dynamic lights on those if that's how they're going to try lighting them--just stick with the regular light-up texture style thing they already do. Inserts don't cast light on the table around them, that's why they're so effective and easy to read! Silly. Hm looking at their ST:TNG PS4 video you can see the animated playfield inserts lit spotlight-style like that. On Monday I'm gonna post Jeff's diagram on their FB and say they really shouldn't stick lights above those things--would look far more realistic without them. I guess they're a little over-obsessed with their new dynamic lights at the moment.

Early on I was hoping they would be building proper working light sockets for the PS4 version, but I kinda knew that was out of the picture once they declared that they'd be launching with like pretty much all the tables already converted. ; P

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
That excess lighting on the middle of the playfield is caused by the lit inserts. Instead of placing the point light source below the plane of the table and letting it shine through the transparent insert upward, they've placed the point light right above the insert. Since the point light is omnidirectional, nearby playfield surfaces and other structures are getting brightly lit when they're not supposed to be. Hence you get the same effect from lit inserts as you do from lamps above the playfield (compare the inserts in the screenshot above with the lamps under the return guides next to the flippers and you'll see it's the exact same effect).

Only pitfall is that correctly rendering a light passing through a colored translucent surface while still maintaining the opacity and readability of any lettering on that surface is probably tricky.

Thank you! That's what I was trying to say in basic way, so thank you for explaining it in detail.

They really need to reconsider their lighting method for lit inserts because lighting them from above (thus illuminating the playfield around them) just looks odd.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Cirqus_Voltaire_Pinball.800.jpg

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I don't see it being a problem; at least a few pinball arcades around here have their tables that dark in the evening and it's fine (aside maybe from when you're blinded by really bright flashers going off suddenly ; )).

For whatever reason, it was darker on the device I was looking at than on the PC I'm looking at now. Not as dark as I first thought but still darker than I like. The spotlight thing in the middle still looks terrible though.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

That is a perfect example of a table in a dimly lit, not totally blacked out room. You can see the colors, yet the lights are the show. The chrome is what really looks amazing here, as well as how the GI lights cast a different glow than inserts. Inserts are NOT lighting the play field, and there is no light shining on the flippers.

Thanks for posting that pic, as it sums up precisely how a table in TPA oughtta look.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
That is a perfect example of a table in a dimly lit, not totally blacked out room. You can see the colors, yet the lights are the show. The chrome is what really looks amazing here, as well as how the GI lights cast a different glow than inserts. Inserts are NOT lighting the play field, and there is no light shining on the flippers.

Thanks for posting that pic, as it sums up precisely how a table in TPA oughtta look.

I agree. That should be their target, right there.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.