So when's 19 and 20 gonna hit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoSTedUP

Dec 14, 2013
Not a lot players compared to mobile devices fanbase + Sony's "hell" when FS want to submit something + DLC can't be patched + hardware hard to programm... and so on.

We can be happy that FS still considers the PS3 version (i.e. megapatch).

the vita isnt hard to program for and that platform has the most s*** experience at the moment. sony is good when it comes to developers submitting, they are actually very good, read what all the inde devs as well as AAA developers have to say about sony and their policies, its litterally only good things compared to how MS treats indie devs. but i wonder if the game is developed on ps3 and then ported to the vita? no, that cant be right... right? the ps3 then would have most of the issues because it is hard to program for. it seems with a lower fanbase on the vita and ps3, FS kinda doesnt care all that much compared to other platforms. especially the vita, there isnt enough people to complain so they dont even have to worry for the longest time.

Jan 6, 2013
the vita isnt hard to program for and that platform has the most s*** experience at the moment. sony is good when it comes to developers submitting, they are actually very good, read what all the inde devs as well as AAA developers have to say about sony and their policies, its litterally only good things compared to how MS treats indie devs. but i wonder if the game is developed on ps3 and then ported to the vita? no, that cant be right... right? the ps3 then would have most of the issues because it is hard to program for. it seems with a lower fanbase on the vita and ps3, FS kinda doesnt care all that much compared to other platforms. especially the vita, there isnt enough people to complain so they dont even have to worry for the longest time.

Well i hope they care about the Vita it is going to be here for a while and it will be compatible with the ps4 and i bought my Vita just for the tpa. And they need to care about any console they put there product on every one should get the same love.

Jan 6, 2013
They have now said that the release has to coincide with PSN releases on Tuesday. So the optimistic day or three will have to wait until Tuesday at earliest. I'm glad they clarified it because it was initially phrased in a way to suggest it could come out any time once the patch was approved.

Thanks Bowflex

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
Sorry you felt that my comment was "ignorant drivel" and that I created an account in the forums to (sic) "just spew it out." That really wasn't the intent. FarSight has been wonderfully responsive when I've reached out to them, and I'm very impressed with the product - particularly the fact that I can play my favorite tables in my living room without having to spend several thousand dollars to buy one from a collector. That said, PS3 is a huge platform with a huge user base. If you have proof that Sony is at the root of what is causing the delays, I would be interested in hearing why that is so. That is, if you can mind your manners and refrain from insults.

Do some searching. Sony has a very lengthy approval process. Every time FS submits a new piece of DLC it has to pass a certification process where a group of testers test their game and that costs $$$$$$$$$ and a lot of it so they prefer to bundle two packs into one update so it doesn't cost as much. That's why we end up having to wait as long as we do for the new packs. Platforms like Steam and the mobiles don't have that and as such, FS can submit bug fixes and title updates with much more regularity. These two packs in particular are in a long delay because Sony's QA team was on winter break in the second half of December so they sat in limbo for a while. We all should be happy that FS is even supporting the consoles and even happier that Season 3 is coming to PS3/Vita given the hell they've been through, because I can assure you that if you worked for FS and had access to their sales numbers, you'd know that the console sales are pretty pathetic in comparison to the other platforms, so much so that they would probably be losing money if they weren't supporting every platform in the world.

PoSTedUP

Dec 14, 2013
Well i hope they care about the Vita it is going to be here for a while and it will be compatible with the ps4 and i bought my Vita just for the tpa. And they need to care about any console they put there product on every one should get the same love.

i strongly agree, i only game on the vita and there is no excuse why this verson has been messed up for this long. really waiting on the patch and 19-20. add me: streetveteran1 is my psnid

mbroge

Dec 2, 2013
Do some searching. Sony has a very lengthy approval process. Every time FS submits a new piece of DLC it has to pass a certification process where a group of testers test their game and that costs $$$$$$$$$ and a lot of it so they prefer to bundle two packs into one update so it doesn't cost as much. That's why we end up having to wait as long as we do for the new packs. Platforms like Steam and the mobiles don't have that and as such, FS can submit bug fixes and title updates with much more regularity. These two packs in particular are in a long delay because Sony's QA team was on winter break in the second half of December so they sat in limbo for a while. We all should be happy that FS is even supporting the consoles and even happier that Season 3 is coming to PS3/Vita given the hell they've been through, because I can assure you that if you worked for FS and had access to their sales numbers, you'd know that the console sales are pretty pathetic in comparison to the other platforms, so much so that they would probably be losing money if they weren't supporting every platform in the world.

Through searching, I found this thread and so far have been talked down to in a less than cordial way for my efforts. I had no way of knowing that it was Sony's approval process that was causing the delays, but since that is apparently the case, it helps to understand what is really happening. I thank you for the information.

Given that FarSight is not a publicly traded company and their financials are not public information, I doubt that anyone here is in a position to speak to the viability of a specific platform. However, having worked in the technology industry as a developer for about 20 years, I feel safe in stating that were it not financially rewarding, the company would pull the plug. That's capitalism for you. FWIW I am happy that the developers have chosen to continue supporting the PS3, and even happier with their customer service and quick responses to any inquiries, particularly those regarding issues known and unknown.

Again, thanks for the insight. Hopefully Tuesday the 21st will be the day we see the megapatch and a new table pack. Cheers.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Some of us are vaguely aware of the relative sales of the different platforms, and FarSight employees have sometimes indicated that a given platform does better than some other given platform.

It is publicly known that:
  • iOS has the strongest sales (from Pinball Magazine's interview with Bobby King).
  • The mobile platform sales taken together vastly exceed the console sales taken together (from multiple sources).
  • Steam sales have been higher than FarSight expected (from a Q&A session during one of FarSight's recent Twitch.TV streams).
Specific numbers are of course not available to the public.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Some of us are vaguely aware of the relative sales of the different platforms, and FarSight employees have sometimes indicated that a given platform does better than some other given platform.

It is publicly known that:
  • iOS has the strongest sales (from Pinball Magazine's interview with Bobby King).
  • The mobile platform sales taken together vastly exceed the console sales taken together (from multiple sources).
  • Steam sales have been higher than FarSight expected (from a Q&A session during one of FarSight's recent Twitch.TV streams).
Specific numbers are of course not available to the public.

That would be expected... I think not having x360 would certainly contribute to consoles lacking in combined sales. Plus a great number of gamers that prefer shooters Nd strategy games have x360 and PC for their platforms of choice. Without x360 they would very likely support steam. I am sure the fact that steam allows Mac and Linux cross entitlement helps out too.

Lazareth

Apr 13, 2013
I don't even want the last two packs from season 2 so it doesn't matter to me if they ever release. I'm much more interested in the mega patch, Fish Tales, and Black Rose.

cammanchee

May 29, 2013
I was going to comment about the approval times for the consoles vs the mobile devices and steam a couple of days ago, but since that has been seen by embroge I won't comment further. On the other hand, in regards to the delay or issues I for one cut Farsight some slack since a massive developer such as EA-Dice can have the issues they did with Battlefield 4 to the point where they suspended further development including the expansions. They just released some patches a day or two ago and players are complaining of new issues with the Battlefield since the "patch", and this falls on the heels of the SimCity debacle as well. So considering Farsight is a small developer, they are doing very well for themselves in the work they are doing with TPA and the number of platforms they are creating if for. Their (EA-Dice) game was released in October, and it still does work very well at all. TPA has some bugs here and there, but it is very much playable and the bugs we do have are minimal and not earth shattering. Can't wait to see what improvements/fixes will come for TPA with the Mega Patch.

I think sometimes people just simply forget that this is just a video game for our entertainment and not a life or death situation as to whether or not the new pack or new update was delivered on time. Most of the time they are, but there is the occassional hiccup and that is to be expected sometimes. In this industry, things happen and I'm willing to just let things go. If it means I have to wait an extra day or an extra couple of weeks, so be it. Can it be frustrating at times? Maybe a little bit. But then I just realize it will be out soon so no big deal. Could this issue have been seen sooner? Possibly. But, Sony is the one who did not find this bug until the absolute last minute, along with their QA being off for the holidays and the rush of getting ready for the PS4 launch, so Farsight should not have to shoulder all of the "blame" that goes on sometimes.

As for me, I wish I could play TPA right now. I went to fire up my PS3 on Wednesday, and I got the dreaded YLOD/RLOD. My PS3 is an original 20gb purchased a week after the first day of launch and everything in it is still original from 8 years ago. I guess I should consider myself lucky that it lasted this long without having any issues of any kind. This is the first problem I have ever had with my system. So I'm currently looking for a good place to fix my system. I believe I found one about 230 - 240 miles away from where I live. I would be able to mail my system in to them, and for the repair work, taxes, and shipping it should cost me about 97 dollars for everything. If I lived closer, it would only cost me about 50 dollars including tax. I would just upgrade to a PS4, but money has very tight for us as me and my wife have been in and out of work since the economy collapse of 2008. I got laid-off from 2 jobs alone last year. So anyways, just my thoughts about people needing to relax a little bit and just remember it is a game for our enjoyment and for some like myself, the only decent way to get our pinball fix as the nearest place for me to play any pinball games at all is about 220 - 230 miles away from me. There is only 1 pinball machine in my area that I know of, and it is Stern's Wheel of Fortune. It doesn't work 100 percent and to be honest, it is not that great of a pinball table. In the meantime, I just downloaded Steam and will try out TOTAN until I either get my PS3 fixed or have the money to get the season packs on Steam and just have the option to play on the computer if I like or my PS3.

Last edited:

PoSTedUP

Dec 14, 2013
I was going to comment about the approval times for the consoles vs the mobile devices and steam a couple of days ago, but since that has been seen by embroge I won't comment further. On the other hand, in regards to the delay or issues I for one cut Farsight some slack since a massive developer such as EA-Dice can have the issues they did with Battlefield 4 to the point where they suspended further development including the expansions. They just released some patches a day or two ago and players are complaining of new issues with the Battlefield since the "patch", and this falls on the heels of the SimCity debacle as well. So considering Farsight is a small developer, they are doing very well for themselves in the work they are doing with TPA and the number of platforms they are creating if for. Their (EA-Dice) game was released in October, and it still does work very well at all. TPA has some bugs here and there, but it is very much playable and the bugs we do have are minimal and not earth shattering. Can't wait to see what improvements/fixes will come for TPA with the Mega Patch.

I think sometimes people just simply forget that this is just a video game for our entertainment and not a life or death situation as to whether or not the new pack or new update was delivered on time. Most of the time they are, but there is the occassional hiccup and that is to be expected sometimes. In this industry, things happen and I'm willing to just let things go. If it means I have to wait an extra day or an extra couple of weeks, so be it. Can it be frustrating at times? Maybe a little bit. But then I just realize it will be out soon so no big deal. Could this issue have been seen sooner? Possibly. But, Sony is the one who did not find this bug until the absolute last minute, along with their QA being off for the holidays and the rush of getting ready for the PS4 launch, so Farsight should not have to shoulder all of the "blame" that goes on sometimes.

As for me, I wish I could play TPA right now. I went to fire up my PS3 on Wednesday, and I got the dreaded YLOD/RLOD. My PS3 is an original 20gb purchased a week after the first day of launch and everything in it is still original from 8 years ago. I guess I should consider myself lucky that it lasted this long without having any issues of any kind. This is the first problem I have ever had with my system. So I'm currently looking for a good place to fix my system. I believe I found one about 230 - 240 miles away from where I live. I would be able to mail my system in to them, and for the repair work, taxes, and shipping it should cost me about 97 dollars for everything. If I lived closer, it would only cost me about 50 dollars including tax. I would just upgrade to a PS4, but money has very tight for us as me and my wife have been in and out of work since the economy collapse of 2008. I got laid-off from 2 jobs alone last year. So anyways, just my thoughts about people needing to relax a little bit and just remember it is a game for our enjoyment and for some like myself, the only decent way to get our pinball fix as the nearest place for me to play any pinball games at all is about 220 - 230 miles away from me. There is only 1 pinball machine in my area that I know of, and it is Stern's Wheel of Fortune. It doesn't work 100 percent and to be honest, it is not that great of a pinball table. In the meantime, I just downloaded Steam and will try out TOTAN until I either get my PS3 fixed or have the money to get the season packs on Steam and just have the option to play on the computer if I like or my PS3.

i hear what youre saying bro. my gripe is that a lot of vita tables are unplayable, like, very slow ball and lag, and on top of the bugs. dr dude completely crashes my vita every time (first 3 times in a row, i stopped trying after that). my original 80 gig ps3 also died and i thik it might have been last wednesday, too. lol. the ps3 version has bugs, but the vita version is a complete mess, and has been since release. FS said they will submit the patch Q1 and it should be downloadable Q1... thats not much of a process from sony... i respect FS but i think ppl need to stop making excuses for them.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
did you here the 1 about the nintendo?...good news though since the hardware sold so bad it will be discounted to the point of almost free! sales made up in software. Kinda odd a dedicated gaming mobile failed in comparisson to mobile phones! :p cant win them all.

cammanchee

May 29, 2013
It's not so much making excuses, just trying to get people to relax a little. If I had a Vita and was going through those problems, I could understand a little better how unplayable it is for that system, or not based on my own experience. I'm sure it would be very frustrating having those problems, but I'm not sure how well I would like playing TPA on a screen that size as I've been so accustomed to playing on a 37 inch screen or real pinball back in the day. I remember having to adjust for the flipper lag that TPA had when it was first realeased on PS3. Frustrating? Of course. But as I mentioned, I learned to cope with the lag and enjoyed being able to play tables I had not played in many, many years (10 - 15+). I guess I'm just a little more laid back than others, as I've learned long ago, it just is not worth getting worked up and upset over such small insignificant things as compared to things that actually affect my life.

Hopefully the Mega Patch will correct it so it will be more enjoyable to play on the Vita. Like I mentioned, Farsight may or might not have been able to have done anything different in regards to being able to patch things as needed. If anything, maybe they should have not made the statement that they would release a new pack every month and they wouldn't have been under the pressure to try and meet that goal with the number of systems they are creating TPA for. That way they could have spent more time making sure the PS3, Vita, or other versions were bug free, or very close to it. The problem with that is, these days, everyone expects everything right away and at the drop of a hat whether it is possible to do it or not. So then you would have people going crazy because they were not seeing new tables very often. You had people saying they should do one table a month, or one pack every other month, and now that Farsight has done that, some people are now complaining about the new release schedule. So Farsight won't/can't win no matter what they do.

They are in a tough spot because you still have to try to make enough money to keep things going, so taking a long time to make tables would make it tough to bring in the necessary funds to do, but then some things (bugs) make it through in an effort to try to balance the need for funds, and customer satisfaction. If the consoles had more flexible rules as the mobiles and steam do, this wouldn't have been such an issue. They can patch and improve things at will for the most part on those versions, but are not allowed to do so on the consoles. Just like Sony mentioned with the PS4 development that they talked with developers because the huge complaint about the PS3 has always been how difficult it was to design and create games on that system as compared to the other platforms or systems they developed games on. So Sony wanted the PS4 to be as developer friendly as possible and seem to want to work a lot better with indie developers than Sony had been in the past. Without truly being behind the scenes, we can always speculate, but with the little tidbits here and there that we get, right or wrong, that is how I view things. In any matter, I can't wait to get my PS3 repaired so I can play the next 4 tables as soon as I can. I'm hoping to have it fixed in the next couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts