Star Trek: The Next Generation Kickstarter Stretch News!

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
Also, FarSight is still on the fence on whether to release these two tables as part of a DLC pack or by themselves and I say release them by themselves for $4.99/400 msp each as the first two Premium Tables and see how they're received by the masses.

I'd say it would be preferable to release them each with one of the more simple tables from the Williams or Gottlieb collections. This 2 tables per month thing is thoroughly good. Of course, by that time we're going to have like 18 tables in all, so it's not like there will be a shortage of them to play... damn, that is exciting. I am going to love watching the game grow, improve, and see the release of bigger licensed content.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'd say it would be preferable to release them each with one of the more simple tables from the Williams or Gottlieb collections. This 2 tables per month thing is thoroughly good. Of course, by that time we're going to have like 18 tables in all, so it's not like there will be a shortage of them to play... damn, that is exciting. I am going to love watching the game grow, improve, and see the release of bigger licensed content.

Actually, I recommended these two tables be released as single tables in addition to the regular monthly DLC Table Packs, so you'd actually have three tables released in November and three in December.

Captain Rumwood

Apr 25, 2012
Regardless if this Kickstarter reaches the stretch goal or not, FarSight is intent on making this table even if it means starting another Kickstarter for Star Trek : The Next Generation to collect the remaining funds needed to secure the licenses. I recommend they do another Kickstarter (if needed) immediately after this one since the goal shouldn't be set very high and this time they can get the tier rewards set up correctly. FarSight needs to do this now and get Kickstarter out of the way and ride out the rest of the year releasing their other DLC Tables Packs as scheduled and end the year with a bang by releasing The Twilight Zone and Star Trek : The Next Generation back to back (Nov/Dec).

Also, FarSight is still on the fence on whether to release these two tables as part of a DLC pack or by themselves and I say release them by themselves for $4.99/400 msp each as the first two Premium Tables and see how they're received by the masses. This should make them enough money to possibly license these high profile tables themselves and maybe release four Premium Tables a year along with their regular monthly DLC Tables Packs.

Next year they should shoot for The Addams Family, Indiana Jones : The Pinball Adventure, The Lord of the Rings and The Simpson's Pinball Party.

Once the new kickstarter for STTNG begins I hope that the other gaming sites that gave exposure to the TW kickstarter do the same with STTNG. I agree. Once the second kickstarter is over they should focus on the DLC's and sometime between November or December they should announce the next license tables they want to do next to create interest. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for Premium Tables. To me this is both for the preservation of pinball games and for hours of fun playing the best tables created.

I would love to get Addams Family, Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings next year.

Different people, different opinions. And we will see how things run, but i am very, very, very happy with how things go at the moment.

I was not expecting the tw succes, and there is coming much more.

I'm very happy to know where getting TZ and I'm sure STTNG will be released. I agree. It's a good sign for the release of other future licensed tables.

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I think a separate kickstarter for STTNG will be a much easier sell to Trekkie fan sites and forums. Having it tacked onto TZ lacks focus and might even come across as disrespectful to them.

When it does come to doing the separate STTNG kickstarter, I wonder if Farsight could approach Steve Ritchie for some kind of endorsement, interview or even some high-level pledge rewards. Met him at a pinball show a couple of years ago and he struck me as a really nice guy. He signed my Getaway backglass too. :)

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I agree that having ST:TNG tacked onto the TZ kickstarter probably diluted its appeal (and definitely caused initial confusion) for many. But they had to do something with the remaining 15 days - kickstarters can't be ended early, and this at least will lower the goal for the eventual ST:TNG kickstarter and make it easier to achieve. It would have been silly to just waste that time and the associated potential donations.

The question of what to do if ST:TNG's kickstarter goes over its own goal by a significant amount is left as an exercise for the forum...

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012
The question of what to do if ST:TNG's kickstarter goes over its own goal by a significant amount is left as an exercise for the forum...

Given the current appeal of TAF, I would say left-overs would go to it. However, I hear Raúl Juliá requested that nothing be created with his likeness after death. So who knows if this would even be possible.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012

I would hope Farsight would simply hold the funds in trust and apply it to their next licensed project (whatever that might be). I wouldn't want to see a third kickstarter for at least a couple of months though.

Personally my vote is for Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure but The Addams Family is the obvious fan favorite.

Last edited:

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
I've been watching a playthrough on youtube, and I'm hooked. I love hearing the cast say pinball stuff: "Sir, sensors indicate lock is lit" and "All hands prepare for multi-ball!" are my favorite. I hope we get to see it soon! I sincerely hope it's own kickstarter will fare better than the piggybacking on TZ's.

Here's a thought, although I think I know the answer: Will the ST:TNG license open up or at least make other Star Trek properties available or at least cheaper? I'm pretty sure they'll be treated as separate licenses/IPs but it would be pretty awesome to nab that Data East TOS pinball, which looks pretty sweet (and has great music to boot):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nf_iCg9mxg

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I think it was mentioned somewhere that after these two (providing they're successful enough to justify future licensed tables, I imagine) they would somehow poll the consumer to determine what to do next. And I absolutely agree that these releases should be spaced out - I imagine with the work involved in producing them they'd have to be.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
I've been watching a playthrough on youtube, and I'm hooked. I love hearing the cast say pinball stuff: "Sir, sensors indicate lock is lit" and "All hands prepare for multi-ball!" are my favorite.
One of the things I love about this table is that it's not only a great Steve Ritchie pinball, it captures the ambiance of the TV show to an amazing degree while translating it into the pinball world. It's some combination of the original cast voices ("Q! We don't have TIME for your GAMES!"), the writing of the sound samples, and especially the way the DMD visuals mimic the look of Mike Okuda's Enterprise control-panel displays from the show. The makers were obviously huge, huge fans.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I've been watching a playthrough on youtube, and I'm hooked. I love hearing the cast say pinball stuff: "Sir, sensors indicate lock is lit" and "All hands prepare for multi-ball!" are my favorite. I hope we get to see it soon! I sincerely hope it's own kickstarter will fare better than the piggybacking on TZ's.

Here's a thought, although I think I know the answer: Will the ST:TNG license open up or at least make other Star Trek properties available or at least cheaper? I'm pretty sure they'll be treated as separate licenses/IPs but it would be pretty awesome to nab that Data East TOS pinball, which looks pretty sweet (and has great music to boot):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nf_iCg9mxg

25th Anniversary isn't that great. Unlike STTNG, 25th doesn't even have the actual cast voices. The different actors and music would make them pretty much separate properties. It's unlikely they could do it, but if FS could score the two Lucasfilm properties, Indiana Jones and Star Wars, they could potentially have two good tables each (plus two additional crappy ones for Star Wars). These use the same actors, music, etc. so a package deal is more likely.

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
I am a big fan of the original Star Trek series and not so much of a fan of The Next Gen, however, some Star Trek is better than non in my opinion. Of the tables I saw of the original Star Trek, To me non of them looked that great .... I wish someone would make a new table that does justice to the original series, but again, I will take what ever I can get.

pacreis

Jun 8, 2012
I am a big fan of the original Star Trek series and not so much of a fan of The Next Gen, however, some Star Trek is better than non in my opinion. Of the tables I saw of the original Star Trek, To me non of them looked that great .... I wish someone would make a new table that does justice to the original series, but again, I will take what ever I can get.
New Star Trek movie coming next year, there's always hope that Stern could make one new table.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
One of the things I love about this table is that it's not only a great Steve Ritchie pinball, it captures the ambiance of the TV show to an amazing degree while translating it into the pinball world. It's some combination of the original cast voices ("Q! We don't have TIME for your GAMES!"), the writing of the sound samples, and especially the way the DMD visuals mimic the look of Mike Okuda's Enterprise control-panel displays from the show. The makers were obviously huge, huge fans.

Yeah, that is quite brilliant. They had a couple of machines at the laundromat/cafe in North Beach near my flat in San Francisco and this was one of them for awhile. I put a lot of spare change into that one. Apollo 13 was another licensed table I really enjoyed with that mental 13-ball multiball. Pretty sure that was Sega, so it should be included with the Stern license.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It's a good thing even Sega didn't want to cough up the dough for Tom Hanks.

That actually is interesting...if there was a certain likeness that was not attainable due to the owner not willing to negotiate or setting the price too high, would it be possible for Farsight to just not use that particular image or substitute something in its place? There have been many examples of this done in other areas and this has occurred with a couple games released on Wii's Virtual Console. I know it does not preserve the 100% reproduction of the original table but if I can play Addams Family and not have Raul Julia's image on the backglass or table, I'm totally fine with that. I want the table, I could not care less about one or two missing images.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Just saw the vid posted in the topic post. What a interesting looking table. Seem like there's lots to do on that table. Will most likely pledge something but money is tight right now. Hope to see this table on TPA. That and Indiana Jones. they did say it looked liked they've got licenses for a top ten table other than Twighlight Zone. Could be LoTR too. That would be sweet as well. Any how. Off to bed. It's nearly 2am here in AZ.

Members online

Members online