Star Trek: The Next Generation Kickstarter Stretch News!

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
yeah, pinball machines based on not-so-good movies (or other licences) can be really awesome -> flintstones, judge dread, johnny mnemonic, demolition man, nba fastbreak... only problem is the various licences needed

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I assume less popular licenses would cost less, but is that really the case? Are Gilligan's Island, X-Files, and Twister type licenses that much cheaper? They haven't produced and Adams Family show or movie in years, yet it is very difficult, & expensive to get. Does anyone know how this works? I know FS has mentioned that anything with a lot of music gets very expensive.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I assume less popular licenses would cost less, but is that really the case? Are Gilligan's Island, X-Files, and Twister type licenses that much cheaper? They haven't produced and Adams Family show or movie in years, yet it is very difficult, & expensive to get. Does anyone know how this works? I know FS has mentioned that anything with a lot of music gets very expensive.

Of those 3 titles, my guess is Twister would be the easiest. Reason being, it's always been owned by the same studio, it was one time property, and all the actors are still alive. X-Files is trickier just considering the lawsuit it's creator brought against Fox for residuals. If he had a tough going, you know the rest of it wouldn't be too easy. Gilligan's would be the trickiest by far since most of the actors are dead, so you'd be dealing with their estates and whoever is in charge of that. On top of that, I'm sure that property has changed hands numerous times so it's a question of do you only need to get clearance from whoever currently has ownership, or do you need to get it also from whoever owned it at the time the pin was made.

I'd be curious to know how tricky the T2 table would be, considering the studio that made the movie went out of business. I know it took a lot of wrangling of all the rights owners just to make T3, and after Salvation, it's now owned by yet another studio. Again, do you only have to deal with those responsible at the time of the table being made, or do the new owners of the property inherit all that came before?

I still maintain the 2 hardest and most expensive licenses to secure would be NBA Fastbreak, unless there's some large umbrella the entire league and all it's teams gets covered under (how does Madden do it?), and Guns 'N Roses cause you're never gonna get Axl to sign off on anything that will put coin in Slash's pocket ever again (thanks Guitar Hero!).

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
and Guns 'N Roses cause you're never gonna get Axl to sign off on anything that will put coin in Slash's pocket ever again

heh, he wouldnt even attend the gnr r'n'r hall of fame induction (axl taht is) :D

so agreeing to a license with their old images and music (not the new fat-axl-and-his-friends)? no way

DooMStalK

Jul 2, 2012
One great pinball machine with licensed characteres that I think shouldn't be expensive to get, would be Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I've played it a lot in the 90s and I'd love to see it in TPA.

I even got a chance to buy a real one a few days ago in very good condition, but when I told my wife it would cost 4k..... yes you already know what happened, and I hope FarSight gets intereted in it.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
4k for a Frankenstein is horrifying! I'm amazed that it's even half that price. I didn't think non-Williams '90s games fetched anything like those prices. :(

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I still maintain the . . . hardest and most expensive license to secure would be NBA Fastbreak, unless there's some large umbrella the entire league and all it's teams gets covered under (how does Madden do it?)
There is the league players association license, which covers all players currently on the rosters. All players no longer in the league must be handled individually. However, Fastbreak was made in 1997, and a majority of those players have since retired, so that would be a licensing headache, and the table was good, but not great.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
4k for a Frankenstein is horrifying! I'm amazed that it's even half that price. I didn't think non-Williams '90s games fetched anything like those prices. :(
That's what happens when you have a bunch of internet millionaires throwing money around.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
There is the league players association license, which covers all players currently on the rosters. All players no longer in the league must be handled individually. However, Fastbreak was made in 1997, and a majority of those players have since retired, so that would be a licensing headache, and the table was good, but not great.

Okay, I figured it had something to do with the Players Association, so thanks for confirming.

I just really like the scoring on that table, and some of the shot selections. When I finally managed to 'beat' the table, I had a true sense of accomplishment that meant something in real world points, not inflated pinball points. It's got the hurry up energy of ToM and the killer center shot risk of MM, plus the fun of shooting against the table like the goalie of WCS.

What can I say, I've got a huge soft spot for it!

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Some of the professional sports player's associations are starting to represent retired players so that they can be included in games and money then gets back to the retired players or their family. It might only be the NFLPA that's doing this.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Some of the professional sports player's associations are starting to represent retired players so that they can be included in games and money then gets back to the retired players or their family. It might only be the NFLPA that's doing this.
It also prevents other game makers who don't have an NFL license from using anyone who ever played in the NFL in their game.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
And of course a few other random properties like Disney stuff and Lord of the Rings. Personally I can't wait to see tables like Johnny Mnemonic, Judge Dredd and a bunch of other great tables based on not so well loved licenses and others that were great at the time but have faded over the years.

As far as I know, Judge Dredd is a popular license in the UK. The game is based off the comics, not the movie.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Judge Dredd is still a popular enough license that there is a big budget film to be released later this year. And yes, in the UK, the 2000 A.D. comics remain very popular (relative to the average popularity of comic book franchises, I mean).

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I got to play that (Judge Dredd) at the only place I've been able to find a pinball machine in Glasgow: Hong Kong Express on Sauchiehall street (owner is apparently a fan and gets tables rotated from a pinball association in Scotland). It's a good one and I'd definitely like to see it.

Any clue as to when this kickstarter is going to happen? I'm keen to contribute, but timing is everything and I don't think I'll be able to equal what I ponied up for Twilight Zone.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As PW said in the news article comments, they're probably waiting for the 360 issues to get sorted first.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Where is Farsight? Shouldn't the Star Trek kickstarter have already begun? What are they waiting for?
They may want the Xbox 360 update/DLC situation sorted before they launch the next kickstarter - there's a lot of bitterness there, whether justified or not - and/or they may want to give the TZ backers time to replenish themselves before asking for more money. There was also some criticism about how the TZ kickstarter was managed; they may be exploring some changes before launching ST:TNG's project.

EDIT: I lose the quick draw again! Also, a shout-out to our UK participants for making "sorted" an official part of the forum lexicon. :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They may want the Xbox 360 update/DLC situation sorted before they launch the next kickstarter - there's a lot of bitterness there, whether justified or not - and/or they may want to give the TZ backers time to replenish themselves before asking for more money. There was also some criticism about how the TZ kickstarter was managed; they may be exploring some changes before launching ST:TNG's project.

EDIT: I lose the quick draw again! Also, a shout-out to our UK participants for making "sorted" an official part of the forum lexicon. :)

I may have been quicker, but I have to tip my hat to you for being more detailed. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.