Bug Very poor audio quality on PS4 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Apparently the game is pulling the mobile audio files and is a bug that will be fixed:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94055170&postcount=4905

Hi there! :)

The sound is actually an issue we were aware of. No idea how it made it into the retail version as our testing never had the issue, but somehow it seems that it's pulling from mobile sound files instead of the sound files that the PS4 version should be using. We're working on getting a fix out as soon as possible.

--------

Thank you,
Pinball Arcade Support
Haha, wow. ; ) What's charming about this is that their support is still capable of being surprised that crazy bugs get through their testing. : D

WJB

Apr 28, 2013
I downloaded the PS4 version yesterday (and bought the S1 pack). Absolutely LOVE the graphics, and the ball physics feel great. So nice to have it on a 55" screen, instead of an iPad Mini!

The audio is absolutely DREADFUL though... I hope it gets fixed soon.

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
Hope the audio patch is released soon, as TPA PS4 reviews are starting to take a hit as a result, from some I have read!

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I would be tempted to question why they are including crap sound samples in the mobile version of the game in the first place?

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I believe some tables have an audio out connection but not all. Maybe someday they will have full audio rom emulation but Mr. Ellenoff mentioned that they use sound samples to ease the load from the cpus as each cycle is precious on the mobile platforms.

I don't think they are allowed to add an had sound mode as there was something in their contract with Williams I believe that everything had to be as it was released from the factory, though I'm not sure if it applies to the sound.

I just figured they would at least have ripped the samples from the ROM, even if they weren't actually emulating the sound playback hardware (to save resources). That said, it must be a LOT more complicated to sync up under the configuration they are using rather than emulating the sound board itself. Its a shame that ultimately this means the console versions are being held back from being 100% accurate, by the mobile versions. It explains why people have mentioned some versions seeming to have missing samples.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I just figured they would at least have ripped the samples from the ROM, even if they weren't actually emulating the sound playback hardware (to save resources). That said, it must be a LOT more complicated to sync up under the configuration they are using rather than emulating the sound board itself. Its a shame that ultimately this means the console versions are being held back from being 100% accurate, by the mobile versions. It explains why people have mentioned some versions seeming to have missing samples.

Yes it is why there are some samples missing. On the upside we could still have creature from the black lagoon because of it. Also. I'm pretty sure that Steve is nice and familiar with the process as well as it is a feature in vpinmame to use samples instead of sound emulation.

The PS4 will sound amazing once they get the right sound files. The pc is leaps and bounds better than the mobiles in the sound department. Though I do wish that they would implement full sound emulation for the more powerful systems.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I would be tempted to question why they are including crap sound samples in the mobile version of the game in the first place?

Many mobiles are really pushing it just to run TPA. Larger audio files loaded into active memory would probably make it impossible for some devices to run. Then there's just keeping the whole app size to a reasonable size.

Warped Trekker

Dec 26, 2013
So what's the word on this issue? Why is it taking so long for them to push an update out to PSN to fix the audio quality?

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
The game barely came out, the patch will have more than an audio fix so it takes longer, Sony takes awhile to approve patches and their people are on vacation (like some FS people I'll bet). Don't expect a patch until January.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
So what's the word on this issue? Why is it taking so long for them to push an update out to PSN to fix the audio quality?

Oh I don't know, perhaps due to the fact everyone is off work for christmas?

Even assuming Farsight are crazy enough to work over the holidays how do you expect them to get a patch released by Sony when they can't even get the store fixed so I can actually BUY the damn game in the first place?

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
it`s not the end of the world, you can still play ! don`t forget people are on holidays, it`ll fixed when they get back. have a happy new year everyone !!!!:cool:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The game barely came out, the patch will have more than an audio fix so it takes longer, Sony takes awhile to approve patches and their people are on vacation (like some FS people I'll bet). Don't expect a patch until January.

Probably longer. FarSight said that it won't be until the second patch because as of the first week of release they had already submitted the first patch. Until we learn otherwise we should assume that the Sony approval process is still 6 weeks plus Christmas delays. We should also assume that the patches cost money and will only be submitted with table packs. Although there were rumors that Sony might wave patch fees and DLC fees, Sony never confirmed these things.

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
If they waived those fees, or greatly reduced them, gamers could only benefit. I know that they charged a lot last gen so companies would put out complete games nstead of glorified betas that they could patch endlessly, but it created problems with games like TPA that constantly needs improvements. I hope that things are better this gen for developers and their patches.

Warped Trekker

Dec 26, 2013
Probably longer. FarSight said that it won't be until the second patch because as of the first week of release they had already submitted the first patch. Until we learn otherwise we should assume that the Sony approval process is still 6 weeks plus Christmas delays. We should also assume that the patches cost money and will only be submitted with table packs. Although there were rumors that Sony might wave patch fees and DLC fees, Sony never confirmed these things.
I keep hearing people say Sony approval takes "six weeks", but where is the proof? That seems ridiculous amount of time. Dev's should be able to logon to their Sony accounts and upload a patch to Sony servers and get it available in no time. I know on the Xbox side, there were some Dev's not wanting to pay Microsoft for patches. I wonder if Dev's have to pay Sony to upload each patch? Maybe that is why they don't want to upload it.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I keep hearing people say Sony approval takes "six weeks", but where is the proof? That seems ridiculous amount of time. Dev's should be able to logon to their Sony accounts and upload a patch to Sony servers and get it available in no time.

That's how long it has taken on the PS3. We don't really know how long it will take on the PS4 yet. On PS3 at least we know that Sony does do some of their own testing on updates--they don't allow FarSight to push patches out themselves.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I keep hearing people say Sony approval takes "six weeks", but where is the proof? That seems ridiculous amount of time. Dev's should be able to logon to their Sony accounts and upload a patch to Sony servers and get it available in no time. I know on the Xbox side, there were some Dev's not wanting to pay Microsoft for patches. I wonder if Dev's have to pay Sony to upload each patch? Maybe that is why they don't want to upload it.

The proof is that FarSight will often mention on here when they submit an update to Sony and then six weeks later it gets to the store or it shows up as a patch. PlayStation and XBox both had about 6 week approval processes last gen. Apple is about a week. Android is three days. I've heard Steam is even quicker. That's why both Sony and MS were talking about streamlining their submission processes for this gen but it's too early to tell if they have.

As far as submission fees go Sony charges the same for each submission. FarSight was combining title updates and patches plus DLC in the same submission because Sony would just charge the same one fee if they were combined. Later FarSight even started doing one submission every two months in order to combine two packs into one submission. This cut their submission fees to Sony in half.

Megahurtz

Dec 26, 2013
I get the impression that ps4 patches have a much shorter turn around time. EA has been cranking out patches for battlefield 4 at a very fast rate. It released on 11/15 and so far has been patched on 11/26, 12/5, 12/11, and 12/17. They've been able to push out new patches in under a week.

Warped Trekker

Dec 26, 2013
I get the impression that ps4 patches have a much shorter turn around time. EA has been cranking out patches for battlefield 4 at a very fast rate. It released on 11/15 and so far has been patched on 11/26, 12/5, 12/11, and 12/17. They've been able to push out new patches in under a week.

Interesting. Only thing is EA has an unlimited amount of money in their coffers.

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
That still suggests a faster eval. period by Sony to allow the patches to be released. Encouraging.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

That still suggests a faster eval. period by Sony to allow the patches to be released. Encouraging.

Actually this information isn't enough to determine the turn around time. We'd have to know when the patches were submitted. It's not unusual for games to have patches submitted before their release. Whenever you have a game that has a day one patch you can be sure that patch was submitted before the release. I don't remember the last AAA title I got on release day that didn't have a release day patch. Also Sony will grant rush patches for some issues. Didn't TPA for the PS3 get a rush patch early in the PS3 TPA life? I thought there was a title patch that made the core tables impossible to play and FarSight was able to get a patch in right away after getting the initial bad patch pulled almost immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.